Poly!

All Star Hotels to the Grand Floridian, don't forget your refillable mug!
Hopper01
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Poly!

Postby Hopper01 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:37 pm

opinions on the poly?
Splashtest
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Re: Poly!

Postby Splashtest » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Our absolute favorite! A nice relaxing vacation spot when not at the parks. 109 more days till we’re there. But whose counting.....
Jessica
DVC ~ Polynesian
"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children."~Walt Disney ºoº
tikimanfan
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby tikimanfan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:04 pm

I guess I don't have to say it's our preferred resort. :) We got spoiled up front on our first stay because my dad was a cast member at the time (engraving jewelry in the Disney Store, Marketplace 1995) and the Poly was my mom's favorite. Back then it was 50% for CM discounts. Since he's still around, we've never stayed anywhere else but that will have to end sometime soon.
perrya57
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby perrya57 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:13 pm

I am looking forward to my first stay there next month.
TK8286
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby TK8286 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:31 pm

The Poly presents a difficult problem for us. It is my daughter’s favorite. We love the pool soooo much. It’s a much better angle to watch MK fireworks from a resort. Don’t even get me talking about Tonga Toast.

As a DVC member, Poly is challenging because you have only studios or bungalows. We have outgrown the studios and there isn’t another option (that we can afford) at Poly. Upside is the Murphy bed so my daughter doesn’t get stuck in the same bed with her brother.

Sentimentally, Poly is a winner and we always visit even if we aren’t staying there. It’s a dead heat in my book between Poly and the Contemporary/BLT in my mind. They are completely different vibes but both are opening day resorts.

We own at BLT and that was a conscious decision based on booking windows (11 months v. 7) and we wanted to be able to walk to MK. Then we stayed at Poly in the DVC and we were really conflicted.

All that is to say Poly is probably our favorite resort on balance for my whole family. It is crazy peaceful sometimes. There is a little hill with a bench over on the T&T side. I love Captain Cook’s and the waterfall just outside there. I’ve had a glass of wine sitting at the table by the waterfall during MK fireworks (an enduring Disney memory). Dole Whip, Tonga Toast and volcano pool? What isn’t to like. I have never been annoyed by the MK ferry horn like some others have complained.

Anyhow, lots of words..... Poly is hard to beat.
J. Stultz
DVC member- BLT
TK 8286- Trooper of the 501st Legion,
Certified Disney Nerd and Tonga Toast Fanboy
BlackDOG across the SW forums universe....
OhanaMana
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby OhanaMana » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:40 pm

TK8286 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:31 pm The Poly presents a difficult problem for us. It is my daughter’s favorite. We love the pool soooo much. It’s a much better angle to watch MK fireworks from a resort. Don’t even get me talking about Tonga Toast.

As a DVC member, Poly is challenging because you have only studios or bungalows. We have outgrown the studios and there isn’t another option (that we can afford) at Poly. Upside is the Murphy bed so my daughter doesn’t get stuck in the same bed with her brother.

Sentimentally, Poly is a winner and we always visit even if we aren’t staying there. It’s a dead heat in my book between Poly and the Contemporary/BLT in my mind. They are completely different vibes but both are opening day resorts.

We own at BLT and that was a conscious decision based on booking windows (11 months v. 7) and we wanted to be able to walk to MK. Then we stayed at Poly in the DVC and we were really conflicted.

All that is to say Poly is probably our favorite resort on balance for my whole family. It is crazy peaceful sometimes. There is a little hill with a bench over on the T&T side. I love Captain Cook’s and the waterfall just outside there. I’ve had a glass of wine sitting at the table by the waterfall during MK fireworks (an enduring Disney memory). Dole Whip, Tonga Toast and volcano pool? What isn’t to like. I have never been annoyed by the MK ferry horn like some others have complained.

Anyhow, lots of words..... Poly is hard to beat.
Wow - I think you perfectly described what Poly means to my wife and I as well. We have yet to stay here, simply due to the prices, but of course we can't wait until the day comes. What is fun is whenever that will be, we have a plus one with us as we're expecting our baby boy in June! Perhaps that calls for starting new traditions and creating new memories at the Poly resort for us. But like you said, so much about this resort enhances our trips just by visiting for dinner, shopping and watching the fireworks from the beach. The last two trips we did - June 2019 and February 2020 we spent our last evening eating diner at Jiko and then going to Poly for Dole Whip (with rum of course) sitting in the Adirondack chairs on the beach watching the fireworks. Like you said, Poly has the best views from a resort for the fireworks by far (even though it's definitely special ending a dinner at California Grill watching from the deck!).

Thank you for sharing your memories about this resort. We can't wait to be back home - mahalo!
WDW: 1998, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Most recent trip: Feb 2020 Contemporary & Coronado Springs Resort
Next trip: Dec 2021 - Bay Lake Tower
TK8286
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby TK8286 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:00 pm

OhanaMana wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:40 pm Poly has the best views from a resort for the fireworks by far (even though it's definitely special ending a dinner at California Grill watching from the deck!).
We have done THAT a few times, and it is special in its own right.....

But we are headed back to Poly in May. Mahalo!
J. Stultz
DVC member- BLT
Polypack
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby Polypack » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:54 pm

It is our absolute favorite resort! The theming is amazing. Love the views of the castle from the beach. Electrical Water Pageant is so fun to watch at night. I like getting up when the sun is coming up and walking around the resort - the castle is so neat to watch as the sun rises!

The bars have great drinks and appetizers. Each one is unique and the bartenders have always been very nice!

OHana. Need I say more? Captain Cooks pork nachos!

We like that you can choose between the two pools. When we want lots of action, we go to the volcano pool. When we want to relax and decompress, we head to the quiet pool.

We have stayed in most Longhouses and each one was wonderful. Rooms could get noisy in the past, but that is more of a "who is next door" problem (it's usually my brother and his family, so ha ha ha!). I am looking forward to the Moana rooms and am keeping my fingers crossed they have the hardwood floors instead of carpeting. I hope the new bathrooms have a little more storage. It's tough to organize a family of 5.

I think the walkway to MK from GF is now going to make it more enticing since you can bypass the monorail line and walk back.
We like to stay on the first floor so we have a patio and can walk right out the door if we want - but don't leave the patio door open (palmetto bugs and lizards).
TK8286
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby TK8286 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:20 pm

Polypack wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:54 pm.

I think the walkway to MK from GF is now going to make it more enticing since you can bypass the monorail line and walk back.
So I have this crazy adventure in mind for my upcoming trip. I want to walk from the Poly all the way to the contemporary and back. I have eyed that sidewalk to nowhere out of MK heading to GF for years. If you did it in the evening you could do it like a Monorail Crawl... stopping off for a refreshing drink at each locale....
J. Stultz
DVC member- BLT
Sandy
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Sandy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:26 pm

We love the Poly and stayed there twice. Love the tropical feeling, the beach, the monorail, and the Lapu Lapu beverages in a pineapple lol!! Hoping to return to WDW in about a year. My dream would be to stay 2 nights at the AKL, then transfer to the Poly for 4 nights. Oh well, a girl can dream, right?? Have a nice weekend everyone!
gnesty
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby gnesty » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:45 am

We were there in August 2019 and absolutely loved it. Rooms were spotless and plenty of room for 4 adults. We found the CM's exceptionally friendly. The main pool was always busy so if you just go a few feet over the the quiet pool and it was blissfully quiet. Even got saw a mama duck and her ducklings hanging there. We were in the Aetora (I'm so sorry for the miss spell) and found the central location fantastic, near pool, GCH, could see the Monorail from room. Have a fantastic trip
FlowerTikii
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby FlowerTikii » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:21 am

We have always been #1 fans of WL Club Level, Blessed to stay numerous time with the kids from the time they were toddles all the way into college. Then it was time for our 30th wedding anniversary and DH and I decided on our FIRST solo trip since the kids were born! Since we honeymooned in HI and didn't want to return there at that point, the Poly was a no brainer.

The Poly is beautiful, quiet, wonderful dining options, can't beat the location and the CM service is incredible. We love the cabanas at the quiet pool and oddly enough, we never stepped foot in the volcano pool!

Must say, after walking into the grand lobby of the WL so many times, as we approached the front of the Poly from the parking, my heart sank thinking "What in the world is so special about this place???" We quickly were sold once we approached the waterfalls and gardens and then walked inside the beautiful lobby to see our friend, Maui (our honeymoon spot)! Somehow we never stepped foot in the Poly prior to that and we feel for those who miss the original lobby. (We feel the same on some of the WL changes they made and it brought us to tears when we popped over there once post reno ;( .)

We are very excited to see the new Porte Cochere and the reimagined rooms. Fingers crossed!!!
CBR - 1989 (first trip)
CBR - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 1998, 2001, 2005
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2007, 2010, 2013
Polynesian - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021
Ace
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Ace » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:41 am

Hoping to visit this fall if all the work is done by then (currently scheduled for summer but I am nervous about Disney cash flow and projects). All of the positive comments from this thread make me more excited to try it for the first time as a guest.
“Why worry? If you’ve done the very best you can, worrying won’t make it any better.” - Walt Disney
TK8286
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby TK8286 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:46 am

We are staying there in DVC portion in late May/ Early June. I’m hoping it will be more normal than the photos I have seen recently. I’ll be sure to update when we get there!
J. Stultz
DVC member- BLT
DanaMarie
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby DanaMarie » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:55 pm

TK8286 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:20 pm
Polypack wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:54 pm.

So I have this crazy adventure in mind for my upcoming trip. I want to walk from the Poly all the way to the contemporary and back. I have eyed that sidewalk to nowhere out of MK heading to GF for years. If you did it in the evening you could do it like a Monorail Crawl... stopping off for a refreshing drink at each locale....

This is a great idea! Starting around sunset would be so beautiful on Bay Lake. Great thing to do on arrival day! I’ll have to keep that one in mind 💡
Bcuinohio
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby Bcuinohio » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:15 pm

Poly is my favorite resort. The atmosphere is so relaxing. Captain Cook's is so good. I really like the Hawaiian feel. I always bring my aloha shirts when we stay there.
DVC Owner - VGF
Last trip June 2022, BLT Villa
Next trip summer 2023 - VGF Villa
Tricia Thayer
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Tricia Thayer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:57 pm

Poly is my favorite , for the atmosphere and also convenience of the monorail and TTC within walking distance
CH-GenX
Platinum Hopper
Platinum Hopper

Postby CH-GenX » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:10 pm

TK8286 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:31 pm Tonga Toast
So stinking good....

Old School Signature