Food Options

Who doesn't love Churros, Be Our Guest, or the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival?
Kimmeecheah
New Hopper
New Hopper

Food Options

Postby Kimmeecheah » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 pm

I am planning to go to all Disney park, Universal Studios and Sea World in the future when covid is over. I am diabetic. Can anyone recommend in each of the parks any good diabetic friendly desserts and foods to get?
Beaker & Honeydew
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Re: Food Options

Postby Beaker & Honeydew » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:24 pm

Have you tried looking on the Disney Experience App? I wonder if the menus will actually show you that kind of info.
Brent
Beaker & Honeydew
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:29 pm

Check the app a lot of the Disney menus have special food on them usually more towards the bottom not sure about the other parks
jm1670
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby jm1670 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:35 pm

Kimmeecheah wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 pm I am planning to go to all Disney park, Universal Studios and Sea World in the future when covid is over. I am diabetic. Can anyone recommend in each of the parks any good diabetic friendly desserts and foods to get?
I am also diabetic. Disney isn't great about that. The trade off however is that most diabetics trend very low when they are active and at Disney you will be very active. So I can't tell you what is good for you based on normal situations but at Disney you will likely need to consume a lot more sugar than normal so it will likely balance out. I usually crash low about every hour or so.

The one thing I would recommend is to try to have normal meals so that you don't end up with rapid spikes and crashes. Again Disney isn't good about this when it comes to options. Other than that most of the deserts will be very high in sugar so if that's a problem for you then you should try sharing it with someone instead of consuming it by yourself. The drinks, shakes, ice cream and cakes are not diabetic conscious. Try to keep slow acting sugars like hamburgers or hotdogs in your system. However after walking 15+ miles per day the sugar filled treats might be what you need. I know from my experience I am constantly going low blood sugar so hopefully you have a constant meter like Dexcom. If you don't have a continuous meter then you should pack one in your backpack and test constantly because the lows do sneak up on you at Disney.
jm1670
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby jm1670 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:38 pm

T music wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:29 pm Check the app a lot of the Disney menus have special food on them usually more towards the bottom not sure about the other parks
Sadly they do not have useful information on this. This is an area Disney doesn't do well on. I am always guessing on this. Since I return to Disney a lot I have gotten better at it but it is indeed guess work. The good thing about Disney is that they are great about letting you bring food/drinks into the park. I take a backpack with a couple of snacks and Mountain Dews with me just in case.
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:54 pm

jm1670 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:38 pm
T music wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:29 pm Check the app a lot of the Disney menus have special food on them usually more towards the bottom not sure about the other parks
Sadly they do not have useful information on this. This is an area Disney doesn't do well on. I am always guessing on this. Since I return to Disney a lot I have gotten better at it but it is indeed guess work. The good thing about Disney is that they are great about letting you bring food/drinks into the park. I take a backpack with a couple of snacks and Mountain Dews with me just in case.
Oh that’s too bad . Thankfully they let you bring your own food .
WisconsinDisneyDad
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby WisconsinDisneyDad » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:55 pm

jm1670 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:38 pm
I am not diabetic, but Disney has been AWESOME for me as someone with celiac disease (gluten free). If I ever have a question, I ask someone at a restuarant, quick service or whatever, and they will call a chef on duty to get the answer. Not sure it's that easy to find out some kind of diabetic related info. I'm honestly not really versed in diabetes, but I would ask a cast member to call a chef. They never question it. It is a great service they provide that puts my mind at ease
Feb 2020 - off prop
Sept 2020 - Pop
Nov 2020 - off prop
March 2021 - CBR
Sept 2021 - AoA
APs since Sept 2021
Dec 2021 - CBR
Jan 2022 - Port Orleans Riverside / CBR / Poly
Jan 2022 - runDisney 5K
Brewbud
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Brewbud » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:21 pm

Disney Food Blog (DFB) might have some useful info.
CH-GenX
Platinum Hopper
Platinum Hopper

Postby CH-GenX » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Kimmeecheah wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 pm I am planning to go to all Disney park, Universal Studios and Sea World in the future when covid is over. I am diabetic. Can anyone recommend in each of the parks any good diabetic friendly desserts and foods to get?
What we have experienced is that if you talk to the CMs-the chef/cook/kitchen manager will come out and talk with you in person about your needs. My wife developed a whole slew of food allergies -before our last trip and they went out of their way to accomodate.

Old School Signature
nittanylions
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby nittanylions » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:39 pm

CH-GenX wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:26 pm
What we have experienced is that if you talk to the CMs-the chef/cook/kitchen manager will come out and talk with you in person about your needs. My wife developed a whole slew of food allergies -before our last trip and they went out of their way to accomodate.
That’s been our experience too. The chefs at Pop Century will try their best to accommodate everyone.
AnimalKingdomFan79
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby AnimalKingdomFan79 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:16 pm

DFB has an article and they mention a special diets dept. (If this info is still valid) you should be able to call/email them with questions
Email the special diets team at: SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com
Phone: (407) 824-5967

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/dining-w ... ney-world/