Pop Century!

All Star Hotels to the Grand Floridian, don't forget your refillable mug!
buckner88
New Hopper
New Hopper

Re: Pop Century!

Postby buckner88 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:05 am

Awesome! We have been there before but the last few times have been at moderate or deluxe resorts but since we haven't been since May 2019 we're staying somewhere more cost effective like Pop to spend more of the budget in park. I just wasn't sure if anything has changed but I definitely appreciate your info and advice!!
Londwar
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Londwar » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:10 am

buckner88 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:05 am Awesome! We have been there before but the last few times have been at moderate or deluxe resorts but since we haven't been since May 2019 we're staying somewhere more cost effective like Pop to spend more of the budget in park. I just wasn't sure if anything has changed but I definitely appreciate your info and advice!!
I’m glad you caught that. I was trying to nicely say there is not a lot to do without coming out and saying there is not a lot to do. lol

It is a place to sleep and relax. Not much else. But sometimes, that is all you need.
2 years learning Spanish and all I remember is "Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas."

buckner88
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby buckner88 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 am

Londwar wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:10 am
buckner88 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:05 am Awesome! We have been there before but the last few times have been at moderate or deluxe resorts but since we haven't been since May 2019 we're staying somewhere more cost effective like Pop to spend more of the budget in park. I just wasn't sure if anything has changed but I definitely appreciate your info and advice!!
I’m glad you caught that. I was trying to nicely say there is not a lot to do without coming out and saying there is not a lot to do. lol

It is a place to sleep and relax. Not much else. But sometimes, that is all you need.
Haha Brilliant! Yeah that is the idea we had when planning this so glad to see we went the right path!
McMarty
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby McMarty » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:17 pm

On my very first visit to DisneyWorld in 2014 we stayed at PC. I have been there 10 times but never stayed at PC since then. Since then the rooms have been updated and I can ride the Skyliner to HS & EPC. I can't wait to get back. I usually go twice a year but 2020 sucked so I missed a year. Onward and upward!
I yams who I yams
Mdroddy16
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Mdroddy16 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:04 pm

Hoping to be back at Pop in June!! It’s our absolute favorite!
Toria
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Toria » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:05 am

I just booked last night for a stay starting Tuesday. Out of the value resorts, I love POP the best.
Live life in your truth!
-Latoria-
Jessie3566
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Jessie3566 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:24 pm

Love POP. Its one of my favorite WDW Resorts. I will be there in 15 days!
Happy2012
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Happy2012 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:01 pm

Londwar wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:47 am
WisconsinDisneyDad wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:42 am We stayed at Pop in September, and I wasn't overly impressed. We normally stay off property, and the little rooms were a bit crammed with only 2 adults and 3 year old. We also did not anticipate the massive lines in the morning for the buses or the Skyliner (and this is when parks were ghost towns). If you're able, have someone in your party get in line 90 minutes before the bus or Skyliner starts running. Otherwise you'll be miles back and get to the parks after open. If you can swing that, then it's not so bad. But value wise, for the same price, you can get a pretty nice hotel suite or condo off prop.
So I have not stayed at Pop Century since the Skyliner went online. I know the busses always had lines, but the Skyliner had long lines as well? Hmmmm. Well, that kind of makes sense.

Just out of curiosity, how did they do the line from Art? Did they combine the lines or did they make each resort form their own line?
We stayed there in November of 2019 before COVID, the skyliner line wasn't as long as buses even though it merged both Pop and Art. The skyliner seems to go quicker since it is continuously loading.
:D Happy
jm1670
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby jm1670 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:33 am

Londwar wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:47 am Now that Pop has the Skyliner is there, it is my understanding that buses to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios are once an hour (roughly). Has anyone else noticed if that means buses to the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are delayed as well? I have family members that do not want to ride the Skyliner and no matter what I tell them, they will not change their mind.

Personally, it seems like Disney is forcing guests to take the Skyliner. I realize that is probably an exaggeration but what can you do when people are scared to ride on a mode of transportation?
Since Jan of 2020 the buses from Skyliner resorts have stopped all together going to Hollywood Studios and Epcot. You can only use the Skyliner.
Londwar
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Londwar » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:35 am

jm1670 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:33 am
Londwar wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:47 am Now that Pop has the Skyliner is there, it is my understanding that buses to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios are once an hour (roughly). Has anyone else noticed if that means buses to the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are delayed as well? I have family members that do not want to ride the Skyliner and no matter what I tell them, they will not change their mind.

Personally, it seems like Disney is forcing guests to take the Skyliner. I realize that is probably an exaggeration but what can you do when people are scared to ride on a mode of transportation?
Since Jan of 2020 the buses from Skyliner resorts have stopped all together going to Hollywood Studios and Epcot. You can only use the Skyliner.
Oh wow. I had no idea. That is really good to know.

Thank you!!!
2 years learning Spanish and all I remember is "Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas."

DisNerd11
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby DisNerd11 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:26 am

JennB wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:59 pm
DisneyGrammy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:10 pm First time going to Pop in October! Two grandmothers who have been friends since high school going without the kids and grandkids. Hoping to stay in the 70's section since we graduated in 1972.
We requested a section in our resort reservation, go to your My Disney Experience app and see if you can in the "resort reservation" tab. I can't remember when it let me do it, it may have been closer to check in time, a few days before. I hope yall have a great trip, we were there last week.
They ask for your preference when you complete the Online Check-in.
WisconsinDisneyDad
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby WisconsinDisneyDad » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:34 am

Happy2012 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:01 pm
Londwar wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:47 am
WisconsinDisneyDad wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:42 am We stayed at Pop in September, and I wasn't overly impressed. We normally stay off property, and the little rooms were a bit crammed with only 2 adults and 3 year old. We also did not anticipate the massive lines in the morning for the buses or the Skyliner (and this is when parks were ghost towns). If you're able, have someone in your party get in line 90 minutes before the bus or Skyliner starts running. Otherwise you'll be miles back and get to the parks after open. If you can swing that, then it's not so bad. But value wise, for the same price, you can get a pretty nice hotel suite or condo off prop.
So I have not stayed at Pop Century since the Skyliner went online. I know the busses always had lines, but the Skyliner had long lines as well? Hmmmm. Well, that kind of makes sense.

Just out of curiosity, how did they do the line from Art? Did they combine the lines or did they make each resort form their own line?
We stayed there in November of 2019 before COVID, the skyliner line wasn't as long as buses even though it merged both Pop and Art. The skyliner seems to go quicker since it is continuously loading.
Before COVID, they loaded multiple parties in one gondola. They don't do that anymore, so it likely is why the line is longer
Feb 2020 - off prop
Sept 2020 - Pop
Nov 2020 - off prop
March 2021 - CBR
Sept 2021 - AoA
APs since Sept 2021
Dec 2021 - CBR
Jan 2022 - Port Orleans Riverside / CBR / Poly
Jan 2022 - runDisney 5K
jm1670
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby jm1670 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:10 pm

The lines for the skyliner are different now. Back then you had to be in Hollywood Studio to get a boarding pass so the rush was on. The lines were about an hour. Disney has since fixed this by not requiring you to be in the park. You can easily get on the skyliner now pretty early. I was just there this past week and the lines were about 5 minutes. The skyliner didn't hold up well to the rush of everyone from 5 resorts trying to get to the park at the same time but since Disney changed the rules for boarding passes that doesn't happen now.

The bit about the room size is correct however. It is way too small for anything more than 2 adults and one child and even borderline for the one child. For me I stay in the room by myself and one person and it's not crowded at all. However if you have a bigger party or need more room then you should use the Caribbean beach resort instead. About $40 a night more but a lot more room. The moderate resorts are about the same size as your typical Holiday Inn rooms.
AnimalKingdomFan79
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby AnimalKingdomFan79 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:44 pm

I went June 2019 when the skyliner wasn't even completed. I found the 'remodeled' rooms really great. The pull down bed was convenient enough to eat meals and to give the room a more spacious feel. The only con was the noise it was a bit loud where we could always hear when the people next to us came back into their room or when they were running around trying to get ready in the morning. Other than that it was great. The themeing is awesome..

WisconsinDisneyDad
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby WisconsinDisneyDad » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:33 am

jm1670 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:10 pm
The lines for the skyliner are different now. Back then you had to be in Hollywood Studio to get a boarding pass so the rush was on. The lines were about an hour. Disney has since fixed this by not requiring you to be in the park. You can easily get on the skyliner now pretty early. I was just there this past week and the lines were about 5 minutes. The skyliner didn't hold up well to the rush of everyone from 5 resorts trying to get to the park at the same time but since Disney changed the rules for boarding passes that doesn't happen now.

The bit about the room size is correct however. It is way too small for anything more than 2 adults and one child and even borderline for the one child. For me I stay in the room by myself and one person and it's not crowded at all. However if you have a bigger party or need more room then you should use the Caribbean beach resort instead. About $40 a night more but a lot more room. The moderate resorts are about the same size as your typical Holiday Inn rooms.
That has me much more excited for the Skyliner! And it makes sense, I was rushing to get their for a boarding group but stood no chance. And yes, now we can do that prior, so it makes sense that the morning rush gets crushed by that then. Thanks!
Feb 2020 - off prop
Sept 2020 - Pop
Nov 2020 - off prop
March 2021 - CBR
Sept 2021 - AoA
APs since Sept 2021
Dec 2021 - CBR
Jan 2022 - Port Orleans Riverside / CBR / Poly
Jan 2022 - runDisney 5K
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:33 am

Glad to see pretty good reviews for POP going for the first time in April
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:58 am

Pop is one of my favorite hotels on property! There's just something about it that is great. And I felt this way even before the Skyliner, but the Skyliner has made it even better. Though, I will say there were some hiccups staying there a couple times during the pandemic season. I think they've gotten some stuff figured out, though.
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:04 am

The recently renovated rooms at Pop Century are so nice! I really enjoyed staying here last February. Having the Skyliner close by was awesome too.

As a new(er) DVC member, I generally use my points to stay onsite at Disney now, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Pop Century again if I wasn't using points.
Happy2012
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Happy2012 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:09 am

We had never stayed at Pop until November 2019, really liked it and have reservations for September 2021 again for Pop! I think our biggest selling point was the skyliner but the price helps!
We were in an accessible room with 3 adults, a wheelchair and a scooter. We developed a system with the equipment and needs our first night making the room not feel crowded worked out well!
:D Happy
nittanylions
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby nittanylions » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:19 pm

Staying at a Disney Resort is special. Pop Century is our favorite. The theming is great. We also like looking at the Cars exhibit across the lake at Art of Animation. So many great memories!
Thena Mazing
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby Thena Mazing » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:44 pm

My experience with Skyliner last October was that there were long lines forming before the Skyliner started running. However, I would wait until 30 minutes after start time and get on with no lines whatsoever. Once it gets running, the line moves really fast. I would not recommend the Skyliner if you are rope-dropping, but otherwise it worked just fine for me.

My other tip with Pop Century is to check the map for all the little pathways. I found shortcuts from the '80s buildings to Everything Pop and the bus station so I didn't have to walk the whole resort to get places.
CH-GenX
Platinum Hopper
Platinum Hopper

Postby CH-GenX » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:30 am

OrangeBird wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:37 pm I’m very excited for my visit to Pop in Match! Anyone else going?
We have stayed from value to deluxe club level and Pop Century is still one of our family's favorites. I'm so excited for you!

This was our first room there:

One of the best food courts and the overall theme is amazing. You are going to love it. The only downside is the volume of people. I would suggest ubers/lyfts if it's in your budget.

Old School Signature
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:26 am

CH-GenX wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:30 am
OrangeBird wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:37 pm I’m very excited for my visit to Pop in Match! Anyone else going?
We have stayed from value to deluxe club level and Pop Century is still one of our family's favorites. I'm so excited for you!

This was our first room there:

One of the best food courts and the overall theme is amazing. You are going to love it. The only downside is the volume of people. I would suggest ubers/lyfts if it's in your budget.

Love that mickey set up so cute
DanaMarie
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby DanaMarie » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:39 am

I’ve stayed at basically every resort from value to deluxe, and I have yo say, this my favorite of the values . I would honestly stay here over the Caribean Beach Resort. It’s a manageable size and this resort just screams “Disney” to me and a great place if you want to feel in the “Disney Bubble”. Walking into the lobby and taking a deep breath full of the citrus scented air is a great feeling.

Enjoy your trip!
Big Daddy T-Mo
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Big Daddy T-Mo » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:28 am

Looking at booking a 5 night stay at POP from Feb. 21st thru Feb. 26th. All the talk of the lines for the Skyliner make me a little worried about getting to the park at opening. We are only there for 4 days, one day per park. So I don't want to waste time waiting of the Skyliner or buses. I am thinking maybe it would be better to just rent a car and stay at a cheaper hotel. What are all your thoughts? I love the idea of the convenience of the Skyliner.