Polynesian Renovations

All Star Hotels to the Grand Floridian, don't forget your refillable mug!
GarrettKidd
New Hopper
New Hopper

Polynesian Renovations

Postby GarrettKidd » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:27 am

So just wondering if plans for the renovations have been shown anywhere. I read on one thread that the entire lobby has been redesigned and that most if not all of the rooms are being ripped down to studs to redo. Does Disney ever release design concept drawings for these renovations or is it always a surprise? We stayed at the Poly this time last year and loved it more than you can imagine, however I would say the room we stayed in, while nice, seemed outdated and a little worn. I’m sure maintenance is difficult with that kind of stream of tourists, but really excited to see what they do and return later this year.
Dive Bar Casanova
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Re: Polynesian Renovations

Postby Dive Bar Casanova » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:48 am

OhanaMana
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby OhanaMana » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:55 pm

GarrettKidd wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:27 am So just wondering if plans for the renovations have been shown anywhere. I read on one thread that the entire lobby has been redesigned and that most if not all of the rooms are being ripped down to studs to redo. Does Disney ever release design concept drawings for these renovations or is it always a surprise? We stayed at the Poly this time last year and loved it more than you can imagine, however I would say the room we stayed in, while nice, seemed outdated and a little worn. I’m sure maintenance is difficult with that kind of stream of tourists, but really excited to see what they do and return later this year.
Currently, we don't know much details at all on what they plan on doing in the main lobby area. We mainly know that the rooms they are re-designing will have a subtle Moana theme overlay, which IMO will fit in nice to the resort. The buildings that are planned to get these updates included Moorea, Tuvalu, Niue, Fiji, Raratonga, Hawaii, and Samoa according to https://insidethemagic.net/2020/10/disn ... rooms-ad1/

For the largest construction project going on - the front entrance and monorail station - Disney did get a great concept photo shown in the second link Dive Bar posted above:

This looks incredible, and I'm sure most Guests will absolutely love these updates. They seem to be making great progress so far as the virtually the ENTIRE front building and monorail station is gone: https://blogmickey.com/2021/01/demoliti ... xperience/

With this resort being 1 of only 2 that were around when Disney World first opened 50 years ago, I imagine Disney will work their hardest to get this resort ready for its special birthday come later in the fall this year! They are saying now it'll all be done by end of June this summer. We shall see!
WDW: 1998, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Most recent trip: Feb 2020 Contemporary & Coronado Springs Resort
Next trip: Dec 2021 - Bay Lake Tower
GarrettKidd
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby GarrettKidd » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:01 pm

Thanks, excited to see some of the changes coming along.