WDW Annual Passes and the DVC Discount

The most magical Vacation Club on Earth!
DisneyAg
New Hopper
New Hopper

WDW Annual Passes and the DVC Discount

Postby DisneyAg » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:11 pm

Ok. I know this topic has been discussed extensively on another (unnamed) forum, but would like everyone's take from this forum.

One of the reasons we own multiple contracts is so we can take multiple WDW trips (usually each a week long) each year. We just added our 2nd contract recently, so as of yet, we've never purchased an AP - but had planned to. One of the nice perks of owning a Blue Card was the sizable discount on the various AP types, and it definitely factored into buying a 2nd contract since an AP would make it very cost effective to visit multiple weeks. And while I was very aware that this perk (and others) were not guaranteed, I never for the life of me imagined this perk would be suspended or disappear.

Now to be fair, I believe the WDW AP will come back for new purchasers soon (hopefully), but given what's happened to AP's at Disneyland, I'm beginning to think it won't come back in its current form. I know that WDW doesn't have the same constraints as Disneyland, but something tells me this might be an ideal time for Disney to 'unify' the AP program across all Disney parks.

Has anyone heard anything? Thoughts?
RockyMountainMouse
New Hopper
New Hopper

Re: WDW Annual Passes and the DVC Discount

Postby RockyMountainMouse » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:08 am

I don't get the impression that they are planning on any changes to the AP program at WDW.

I bought my first contract resale so I wasn't eligible for the DVC AP discount and have had a standard Platinum AP for a few years. Last year, I purchased a minimum point contract direct so I now qualify for the discount. In order to book park reservations for my trip in October, I needed to call to renew my AP early since it isn't de to expire for 3 months.

I asked if I could convert my Platinum to a DVC AP, and they went ahead and allowed me to do so. Essentially, it is a certificate for the new DVC AP to replace my current AP after it expires in April. The CM also indicated that it was the same type of pass that I currently have in its functionality. I was able to make part reservations since the system recognized the certificate as a valid ticket.

My point is, that if they were going to do with WDW AP's what they are currently doing at DL, I most likely wouldn't have been able to convert to a new AP that now expires in 2022. I certainly could be wrong, but I think if they were going to overhaul, they would be well on that path while sales of new AP's is suspended.
DisneyAg
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby DisneyAg » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:43 am

Hope you're right - it's just... not selling NEW passes now doesn't make a whole lot of sense (from a revenue point-of-view) because the Park Pass reservation system is already doing what Disney needs now: limiting daily park capacity. So even if we had new AP's - we'd still be subject to daily capacity restrictions. Why not collect more revenue now (greatly needed on Disney's part) with no impact (cost) to current daily capacity?

The only reason I can think of is they are of a mind to limit FUTURE daily capacity once things return to 'normal'. And that means no new AP's they likely have to take away, and some kind of grandfathering for current AP holders - or more likely a re-envisioning of the entire AP system. And with all the other cuts, they knew they couldn't just suspend the AP program for existing passholders without a tremendous outcry.

Again, hope you're right - but my gut says we're gonna see some kind of reservation controlled, limited use, AP program in the near future. Just like Disneyland.

And it's gonna cost more.
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:35 am

The lack of new Annual Passes right now is I think to put a cap on the number of AP holders at WDW. Since WDW is using the Park Pass system and limiting the number of AP holders that can come in each day - I think they want to prevent more AP's from joining. I suspect once we see a clear path back to "normal" that AP's will become available again.

Who knows if WDW will do the same thing as Disneyland for APs though with requiring reservations. WDW I don't think has the same problem as Disneyland regarding legacy or grandfathered APs which may have had terms which Disney no longer wanted to offer. I believe for WDW, there are much fewer types of AP's and there are no grandfathered benefits.

Could be totally wrong here, and time will tell! :) But I'm hopeful WDW will continue to offer APs the way they are - and since they are continuing to renew APs, I'm hopeful they will keep offering them.
michael
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby michael » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:34 am

There really is no financial benefit to streamlining AP products across parks.

The reason APs are not for sale right now is because with the current capacity limits, the current membership works well and they don't want to force themselves into a problem like they would've faced at DLR had they not shuttered the AP program.

When capacity returns to normal, new AP sales will resume.
CarrieMcClaine
Mopper
Mopper

Postby CarrieMcClaine » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:54 am

My last AP expired in February 2020. I let them lapse as we planned to buy them again in October for our Oct 2020, Nov 2020, and Oct 2021 trips. One AP would have covered all 3 trips. Because they won't let me buy a new AP, I had to buy separate tickets for October and November 2020. We decided to cancel the October 2021 because I am not buying a third set of tickets in a 12-month period. Each trip is 8 to 9 days, so the cost of tickets really adds up. I wish they would allow DVC members to get AP's. I'm going to bank all my points this year and hope they come out with something for 2022.
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:57 pm

CarrieMcClaine wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:54 am My last AP expired in February 2020. I let them lapse as we planned to buy them again in October for our Oct 2020, Nov 2020, and Oct 2021 trips. One AP would have covered all 3 trips. Because they won't let me buy a new AP, I had to buy separate tickets for October and November 2020. We decided to cancel the October 2021 because I am not buying a third set of tickets in a 12-month period. Each trip is 8 to 9 days, so the cost of tickets really adds up. I wish they would allow DVC members to get AP's. I'm going to bank all my points this year and hope they come out with something for 2022.
Did you try calling them? The Annual Passholder Support line ( (407) 939-7277 ) was allowing some people who cancelled their AP or let it lapse renew them. You might want to call and ask, they can even use the value of the tickets you've bought already towards the AP's if they let you renew. It isn't a guarantee, but if you haven't tried already it doesn't hurt to call and ask!
CarrieMcClaine
Mopper
Mopper

Postby CarrieMcClaine » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:04 pm

Liquid Ice wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:57 pm
CarrieMcClaine wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:54 am My last AP expired in February 2020. I let them lapse as we planned to buy them again in October for our Oct 2020, Nov 2020, and Oct 2021 trips. One AP would have covered all 3 trips. Because they won't let me buy a new AP, I had to buy separate tickets for October and November 2020. We decided to cancel the October 2021 because I am not buying a third set of tickets in a 12-month period. Each trip is 8 to 9 days, so the cost of tickets really adds up. I wish they would allow DVC members to get AP's. I'm going to bank all my points this year and hope they come out with something for 2022.
Did you try calling them? The Annual Passholder Support line ( (407) 939-7277 ) was allowing some people who cancelled their AP or let it lapse renew them. You might want to call and ask, they can even use the value of the tickets you've bought already towards the AP's if they let you renew. It isn't a guarantee, but if you haven't tried already it doesn't hurt to call and ask!
Yes, I called and they wouldn't let me buy an AP. I already used my tickets. My Oct 2020 & Nov 2020 trips already happened. It stinks that I spent more on tickets for those 2 trips than I would have on an AP.
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:16 pm

CarrieMcClaine wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:04 pm
Liquid Ice wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:57 pm
Yes, I called and they wouldn't let me buy an AP. I already used my tickets. My Oct 2020 & Nov 2020 trips already happened. It stinks that I spent more on tickets for those 2 trips than I would have on an AP.
Ah gotcha, read too fast and for some reason thought all of the trips were in the future :) Sorry to hear that they wouldn't let you renew though, that really stinks.
Zach
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby Zach » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:58 pm

I, too, had an AP that expired in February 2020. I called to see if they would let me re-purchase a new one and didn't have any luck either. It's very frustrating because I would like to visit more often, but it's hard to justify doing so without an AP.
DVCmike
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby DVCmike » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:43 pm

I really hope they bring back APs soon. We use the APs to visit 3-4 times a year and without it we will only go once. The cost of tickets for 3-4 trips is just too much. We also have multiple contracts to visit more often and I just can’t do a trip without the parks. Granted we don’t rope drop to close like we use to but we love the parks. Being there and not going just won’t work for us. I’m surprised they don’t do more for DVC members. I’m not so sure they will unify the APs coast to coast. California had an AP problem since that’s the target audience there. Florida relies on tourism. Time will tell but I can’t wait to get back to the magic even if I settle for one trip this year.