Disney California Adventure Memories

All about the Mouse in the West!
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Disney California Adventure Memories

Postby DLandChris » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:05 am

I thought I'd start this topic since the 20th anniversary is a little over a week away. What are some memories and fun times you have of DCA? And feel free to keep adding as memories come flooding back.

I'll start with that my family and I went in January of 2001 and they were doing preview days for guests of the Disney hotels. It was an amazing surprise and we had a blast since there was almost no one going into there. (Although in the early years of the park that was normal every day)
I still remember all of us in awe of Soarin' Over California and we might have been some of the very few that somewhat enjoyed Superstar Limo.
RandiTravis
New Hopper
New Hopper

Re: Disney California Adventure Memories

Postby RandiTravis » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:20 pm

I actually went to a cast member preview before it opened also! Superstar Limo was weird, but fun. I remember riding Grizzly River Rapids at midnight as our last ride. It was a very cold and wet walk to the car afterward. What a blast! Great memories. Oh! Being able to drink wine at the trattoria was so strange. It seemed naughty to drink in a Disney park. ;) Times have changed.
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:23 pm

RandiTravis wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:20 pm Oh! Being able to drink wine at the trattoria was so strange. It seemed naughty to drink in a Disney park. ;) Times have changed.
I have just gotten used to it in the past couple of years actually. Though I've had beers and drinks at DCA for a while it's only the last couple of years that I've had times of specifically doing a trip over to get a drink there. And now with Oga's open I keep wishing there were places within Disneyland to get a drink besides there (well and the coveted Club 33).
Dive Bar Casanova
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Dive Bar Casanova » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:01 am

What we remember most is it being completely empty of guests so annual passes with parking were really cheap as a consequence.
We absolutely were floored by Soarin'.
WHODATHUNKIT? A terrific ride.

"Senior Disney officials acknowledge that there will be days when California Adventure will have to turn patrons away, particularly in the first weeks after the park opens." - LA Times.
Well, that took a few years to happen.

The characters dressed as trees were amazing. Absolutely fantastic. Grizzly Peak was excellent for our little kids.
We loved it all.
Dive Bar Casanova
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Dive Bar Casanova » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:09 am

DLandChris wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:23 pm
RandiTravis wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:20 pm Oh! Being able to drink wine at the trattoria was so strange. It seemed naughty to drink in a Disney park. ;) Times have changed.
I have just gotten used to it in the past couple of years actually. Though I've had beers and drinks at DCA for a while it's only the last couple of years that I've had times of specifically doing a trip over to get a drink there. And now with Oga's open I keep wishing there were places within Disneyland to get a drink besides there (well and the coveted Club 33).
We enjoy Carthay Circle for drinks. The nicest of all the resorts bartenders and a class act watching them mix unique and proprietary cocktails.
The bartenders have weekly classes to polish their skills and learn new drinks with finesse'.
Two years ago they sold 600 Poison apple cocktails at $35 each in about 6 hours. About 1/3 of them without alcohol, but still at the full price.
To me one of the most amazing bars in the world.

Poison Apple:
[Image][/img]

We understand Ogas is being expanded in some way beyond just lengthen the existing room.
BTW: I was the last patron at the Carthay Circle bar on the day they shut down and haven't had a beer nor cocktail anyplace nor at home since. I plan on falling in as they reopen the door for business.
Chimi
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby Chimi » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:03 pm

For me, probably Cars Land opening. We waited 5 1/2 hours to get on Radiator Springs Racers and then once we got on, it broke down in the middle of the ride. It was constantly breaking down that day.
randyf79
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby randyf79 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:09 pm

"What if there was a place...a magical place...where anything was possible! Want to go?"
Niknak88
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Niknak88 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:33 pm

I remember when we went to the Lamplight Lounge after they refurbed it!! That was a great day!! And we had a great view of The IncrediCoster!!

Have Courage, and Be Kind!
-Hi, I’m Nikki! (Nikki in the Chat)
-Tomorrowland Lover
-Stitch is my Favorite
-Disney is life!!