Where to "Rent" DVC points?

The most magical Vacation Club on Earth!
Josh42988
New Hopper
New Hopper

Where to "Rent" DVC points?

Postby Josh42988 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:16 pm

What are some websites to rent DVC Points
Joseph StJohn
New Hopper
New Hopper

Re: Where to "Rent" DVC points?

Postby Joseph StJohn » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:19 pm

Here is A website https://dvcrentalstore.com
Tina_Marie
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby Tina_Marie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:45 pm

Oh thanks, I’m very interested in any tips anyone has regarding renting DVC points.
AnimalKingdomFan79
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby AnimalKingdomFan79 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:05 pm

I'm in a Facebook group about it, if you're on FB I would recommend joining one just to learn about the experience. I remember reading about someone who wanted gift cards for their rental (which was obviously a scam).
Drew
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Drew » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:12 pm

I believe that David's is a huge DVC rental company that you can find on Google. They are probably the biggest company online.
Tina_Marie
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby Tina_Marie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:36 pm

AnimalKingdomFan79 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:05 pm I'm in a Facebook group about it, if you're on FB I would recommend joining one just to learn about the experience. I remember reading about someone who wanted gift cards for their rental (which was obviously a scam).
Awesome thanks for the tip!
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:33 pm

Maybe ResortTV1 could add a forum specifically for renting / transferring DVC points! If you want to go through a broker, you can search on Google for DVC rental and find quite a few good companies. There are also a few forums that have DVC Rental boards and Facebook groups.

You always need to be careful when renting DVC points though - I would recommend asking for the owners name and at least verifying that they truly own DVC. You can use the Orlando Comptroller's website to verify DVC ownership for Disney World. https://or.occompt.com/recorder/web/ is their website.

Even for DVC Brokers you should always ask what their cancellation policy is and what would occur in the event that Disney World is closed.

If you're dealing with someone directly, ask if they have a contract that you can read beforehand that lays out everything. Also ask for references from other people who have rented from them before!

Some people will ask for a deposit up front and full payment some number of days before you leave. Some will ask for full payment up front.

Once they make the reservation, you'll be able to add it to your My Disney Experience App immediately and confirm all of the details of your stay.

There is definitely a trust factor between the renter and the rentee. Technically, they could cancel your reservation at any point in time before you arrive.

With all this said, I have rented DVC points from owners 2 times before I decided to purchase my own points and had nothing but a great experience.
TK8286
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby TK8286 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:48 pm

The trouble with a rental forum is that it almost always devolves into a dispute between members of a transaction is flawed or goes bad.

Please remember to not link to outside websites without admin approval. It’s a reasonable question of where to rent, but forum posting rules dont allow it. I know it seems silly or petty to some folks. I also know it seems possessive to some. The truth is if you allow open posting of outside links or other companies then the trolls and marketers invade the forum. I have been a mod on a forum years ago and it got totally out of hand. The beauty of this forum is that I hope it’s populated by folks who appreciate Josh, Jenna and Co. and the positive vibe they bring with the channel. That’s why I jumped at the chance to sign up. If outside vendor links are allowed, then there are boat-load of issues that come with it. Not throwing shade..... it’s a great question and some factual answers.

They way other groups I have been a part of have handled these type issues is by a sticky or pinned topic with a list of vendors that members and admins had agreed were reputable.
J. Stultz
DVC member- BLT
TK 8286- Trooper of the 501st Legion,
Certified Disney Nerd and Tonga Toast Fanboy
BlackDOG across the SW forums universe....
Pinot_Pete
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby Pinot_Pete » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:31 am

We have had good luck with Dave's DVC. We have used them about 4 times now and all went pretty smoothly. Even Last year when we had to cancel due to COVID they offered travel credit which they were not obligated to do. Their contracts are usually nonrefundable and final.
gnesty
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby gnesty » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:34 am

This is an interesting topic. We hope to do two weeks in June 2022 (son will be competing in National Special Olympics) and will need a kitchen. Thanks for all the replays I'm learning alot.
KenK1733
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby KenK1733 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:30 pm

Check out www.dvcstore.com

I rented some of my unused points through them. No issues!
Last edited by KenK1733 on Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doodle Mom
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Doodle Mom » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:09 pm

We have had great luck using David’s Vacation Club. Was going to try DVC Rental Store last year since they had a cancellation policy. Wasn’t able to secure the place we requested so didn’t use Dave’s or DVC. We were traveling with our daughter and her family and wanted to be at the same resort so we ended up booking through Disney. We have used Dave’s four times in the past and have been satisfied. Always got a good room location.
GAN
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby GAN » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:18 pm

For any Owners looking to get something for unused points -I believe DVC Rental Store is offering $16/point within the 7-11 month window.
DVCmike
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby DVCmike » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:22 pm

I rented before becoming a member and it’s a great way to ‘test drive’ DVC. We went through David’s DVC rental (https://dvcrequest.com). Wonderful experience and I would recommend. I also hear DVC Rental Store (https://dvcrentalstore.com) is great as well. I believe they have a cancelation policy as well as less money upfront when booking.
tikimanfan
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby tikimanfan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:14 am

Great info, thanks. We finally have something for which to plan on the distant horizon. We're hoping to explore DVC renting in Nov 2022 to celebrate our son's wedding. I wonder how early I need to start planning out that far. In a perfect world, we'd love a Poly DVC studio. <sigh>
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:46 am

tikimanfan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:14 am Great info, thanks. We finally have something for which to plan on the distant horizon. We're hoping to explore DVC renting in Nov 2022 to celebrate our son's wedding. I wonder how early I need to start planning out that far. In a perfect world, we'd love a Poly DVC studio. <sigh>
If you definitely want a Poly DVC Studio, I'd recommend trying to find a DVC Rental Broker or a DVC owner that can book it for you BEFORE December 2021 (which would be the 11 month mark). So roughly 1 year before hand. That way you can lock in with a company or person and they can make sure to make your reservation at exactly the 11 month mark. This is assuming that the dates you want are competitive and will be difficult to book.

Right now, 2022 may be very competitive just because of pent up demand to go to Disney post-pandemic and because DVC owners may have a lot of extra points to use.
Wilderness_Explorer
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Wilderness_Explorer » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:20 pm

What is the benefit of renting points versus booking a DVC room directly through Disney? Is it simply a cost thing?
-Rachel Fithian
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:06 pm

Wilderness_Explorer wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:20 pm What is the benefit of renting points versus booking a DVC room directly through Disney? Is it simply a cost thing?
It comes down to price. Normal rack rate for a DVC Villa can be very high. Just to give you a quick example...

March 1st - 5th, 2021 - Bay Lake Tower - Lake View Studio, Rack Rate is $720/night, currently there is a 35% off sale bringing the price down to $468/night - plus taxes.

A Bay Lake Tower Lake View Studio would cost 84 points from March 1st - 5th, 2021 would cost $1,680 total through dvc rental store or $20 per point and $420 per night. $20pp is a little bit high for renting but that seems to be the going rate through DVC Rental brokers. Directly from owners you can often find it for $15 per point, which would reduce your price to $1,260 or $315 per night.

With the 35% off, the savings don't seem that large, but there isn't always such a generous room discount.

Renting DVC points does not come without some risks however. While most DVC Rental Brokers now have an established cancellation policy after Disney World shut down in March 2020, you'll want to read it carefully. You may be able to buy trip insurance. Renting directly from an owner also carries some risks - there are scammers out there who will take your money and run. Make sure you ask for references and check that they actually own DVC (see my previous post for the link on how to check for their deed).

If you're considering becoming a DVC Member but want to actually stay in a resort - this can also be a good way to stay in a DVC Villa and "try it out" before buying in.
CH-GenX
Platinum Hopper
Platinum Hopper

Postby CH-GenX » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 am

Drew wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:12 pm I believe that David's is a huge DVC rental company that you can find on Google. They are probably the biggest company online.
This is who I've had great experiences with. Going to WDW is such an expensive trip-I've always spent a little extra on the insurance.

https://dvcrequest.com/

Old School Signature
DisneyNerd30
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby DisneyNerd30 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:26 am

Liquid Ice wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:06 pm
Wilderness_Explorer wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:20 pm What is the benefit of renting points versus booking a DVC room directly through Disney? Is it simply a cost thing?
It comes down to price. Normal rack rate for a DVC Villa can be very high. Just to give you a quick example...

March 1st - 5th, 2021 - Bay Lake Tower - Lake View Studio, Rack Rate is $720/night, currently there is a 35% off sale bringing the price down to $468/night - plus taxes.

A Bay Lake Tower Lake View Studio would cost 84 points from March 1st - 5th, 2021 would cost $1,680 total through dvc rental store or $20 per point and $420 per night. $20pp is a little bit high for renting but that seems to be the going rate through DVC Rental brokers. Directly from owners you can often find it for $15 per point, which would reduce your price to $1,260 or $315 per night.

With the 35% off, the savings don't seem that large, but there isn't always such a generous room discount.

Renting DVC points does not come without some risks however. While most DVC Rental Brokers now have an established cancellation policy after Disney World shut down in March 2020, you'll want to read it carefully. You may be able to buy trip insurance. Renting directly from an owner also carries some risks - there are scammers out there who will take your money and run. Make sure you ask for references and check that they actually own DVC (see my previous post for the link on how to check for their deed).

If you're considering becoming a DVC Member but want to actually stay in a resort - this can also be a good way to stay in a DVC Villa and "try it out" before buying in.
I have had success with renting DVC points and an added bonus of free parking when you do as well. It’s a perk if you are driving!
It's a great day to be great!
tikimanfan
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby tikimanfan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:37 pm

Liquid Ice wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:46 am
tikimanfan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:14 am Great info, thanks. We finally have something for which to plan on the distant horizon. We're hoping to explore DVC renting in Nov 2022 to celebrate our son's wedding. I wonder how early I need to start planning out that far. In a perfect world, we'd love a Poly DVC studio. <sigh>
... roughly 1 year before hand. That way you can lock in with a company or person and they can make sure to make your reservation at exactly the 11 month mark. ...
Great to know. I'm so anxious to book. What happens if I try to go through a broker (e.g., Dave's, etc.) earlier than the 11 month mark?
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:51 pm

tikimanfan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:37 pm
Liquid Ice wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:46 am
... roughly 1 year before hand. That way you can lock in with a company or person and they can make sure to make your reservation at exactly the 11 month mark. ...
Great to know. I'm so anxious to book. What happens if I try to go through a broker (e.g., Dave's, etc.) earlier than the 11 month mark?
Usually they will try to match you with an owner before the 11 month mark and the owner will try to book your requested reservation at the 11 month mark.

You usually pay a premium for requests made between the 7 and 11 month mark because DVC owners can only use points if they own at that resort (in other words, if you want to stay at Poly, you need to find a Poly owner to book for you anytime between 11 months to 7 months and 1 day before your trip ). After the 7 month mark, you can use points from any DVC Resort to book poly, so it is cheaper and more people will have points available to rent, BUT availability at Poly may be completely unavailable at that time.
OhanaMana
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby OhanaMana » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:07 am

I know this thread is slightly old, but I always appreciate more information so I can make a great decision for my families vacation. We just booked 5 nights for December 12-17 this year at BLT via renting points from DVCRentalStore.com and I wanted to share our details to show just how powerful renting DVC points can be.

Right now the same 5 nights at BLT Lake View Deluxe Studio room is $942 per night including the 12.5% tax or $4,713 total.
We rented 90 points for a total cost of $2,160 - yes 55% off rack rates.

Now for full transparency here, I imagine for those same dates will eventually have some type of room promotion rate of 20-30% off. So we can take that $942 and take off 30% - we are still at $700 per night or $3,500 total for the 5 nights. We still save $1,340 for our trip that we can use on our flights, tickets, food, etc.

This trip for us will be very special because we are planning to bring our 6 month old for the first time. We can't wait be staying right in the magic at BLT where we can easily walk over to Magic Kingdom for a few hours and enjoy our selves. We can't wait to make incredible new magical memories as a family and we absolutely wouldn't b e able to do this without the ability to rent these points.
WDW: 1998, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Most recent trip: Feb 2020 Contemporary & Coronado Springs Resort
Next trip: Dec 2021 - Bay Lake Tower
OhanaMana
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby OhanaMana » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:10 am

DisneyNerd30 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:26 am
Liquid Ice wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:06 pm

I have had success with renting DVC points and an added bonus of free parking when you do as well. It’s a perk if you are driving!
DisneyNerd - that is great to hear. I wasn't aware of that. How does that work exactly? If we rented a car, would we just pull up to BLT and park like normal, and because our reservation is a DVC reservation, we won't have to worry about any cost being added to the room?
WDW: 1998, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Most recent trip: Feb 2020 Contemporary & Coronado Springs Resort
Next trip: Dec 2021 - Bay Lake Tower
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:50 am

OhanaMana wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:10 am DisneyNerd - that is great to hear. I wasn't aware of that. How does that work exactly? If we rented a car, would we just pull up to BLT and park like normal, and because our reservation is a DVC reservation, we won't have to worry about any cost being added to the room?
I believe the free parking is supposed to be for the DVC Owner only (we pay for parking in our annual dues), however this is not enforced at all... so when you're staying on DVC Points, you are not charged for parking. The first time you get there, just drive up to the security gate for parking, give them your name, they will confirm your reservation and then from that point on you'll be able to use your Magic Band (or card, or I assume Magic Mobile) to open the security gate to get into the parking lot.

I have had mixed experiences where 1 time my Magic Band worked w/o stopping at security, but other times it did not work and I had to reverse and pull back into the security lane for security to check my reservation, so I always recommend talking to security the first time.

I've done it before and did not get charged for parking and I've only read of 1 incident where someone was charged for parking amongst many many others who were renting points and did not get charged for parking.