Question about current security screening

All about the Mouse in the East!
monorailsandmagic
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Question about current security screening

Postby monorailsandmagic » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:40 am

Hello,

I am trying to update an old blog post about bag check with more current information.

I have experienced the new metal detectors, how they work, and what might set them off.

But I wasn't paying attention to how they handle strollers, wheelchairs, and scooters. Can anyone tell me how security handles them? Do they go through the metal detectors too?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out!
Cindy from Monorails and Magic
Looking forward to my next trip to Walt Disney World.
Dreaming of the day when Florida will be home!
Happy2012
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Re: Question about current security screening

Postby Happy2012 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:07 pm

monorailsandmagic wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:40 am Hello,

I am trying to update an old blog post about bag check with more current information.

I have experienced the new metal detectors, how they work, and what might set them off.

But I wasn't paying attention to how they handle strollers, wheelchairs, and scooters. Can anyone tell me how security handles them? Do they go through the metal detectors too?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out!
Thank you for asking this question! This is something I would like to know as well 👍
:D Happy
jm1670
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby jm1670 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:27 pm

Basically anything that's metal can set them off. The only major change is the process. For example umbrellas set them off so they tell you to have your umbrella out and to hold it out straight in front of you as you pass. You can hear it set off the alarm still but they will let you go forward.

Keys and cell phones don't seem to set them off.

I also believe they have some new technology similar to what's in airports to see through things to detect objects. I don't think we will get much information on that though.
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:38 am

The new security scanners are NOT metal detectors. They use Millimeter Wave (high frequency radio) technology and Artificial Intelligence software to detect both metal and non-metal weapons. The technology is made by Evolv and the scanners are called Evolv Express. My company uses the same scanners when we host conferences.

You can learn more here: https://www.evolvtechnology.com/products/evolv-express

One interesting aside - Evolv has not tested the scanners for safety when some medical devices pass through the scanner, and they don't know if it is safe or not. I recently talked to someone who had a Glucose device (for diabetes) who was told to not allow the device to pass through the scanner because it may get damaged. No clue if that is true or not, but ask questions to be safe!

To answer the OP's question, strollers and ECVs have a dedicated line and they do not go through the scanners. You must remove all bags from the stroller or ECV and then security will manually check them and roll them around the scanner - you then need to take any bags and yourself and walk through the scanner where you will meet the stroller.
jm1670
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby jm1670 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:59 pm

Liquid Ice wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:38 am The new security scanners are NOT metal detectors. They use Millimeter Wave (high frequency radio) technology and Artificial Intelligence software to detect both metal and non-metal weapons. The technology is made by Evolv and the scanners are called Evolv Express. My company uses the same scanners when we host conferences.

You can learn more here: https://www.evolvtechnology.com/products/evolv-express

One interesting aside - Evolv has not tested the scanners for safety when some medical devices pass through the scanner, and they don't know if it is safe or not. I recently talked to someone who had a Glucose device (for diabetes) who was told to not allow the device to pass through the scanner because it may get damaged. No clue if that is true or not, but ask questions to be safe!

To answer the OP's question, strollers and ECVs have a dedicated line and they do not go through the scanners. You must remove all bags from the stroller or ECV and then security will manually check them and roll them around the scanner - you then need to take any bags and yourself and walk through the scanner where you will meet the stroller.
I have an insulin pump and the scanners at Disney are not an issue. Can't confirm it about things like pace makers but since they aren't warning at the line about it, I would assume those are fine too.
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:22 am

jm1670 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:59 pm I have an insulin pump and the scanners at Disney are not an issue. Can't confirm it about things like pace makers but since they aren't warning at the line about it, I would assume those are fine too.
I don't have a glucose device, so I am not an expert at all - but what I was reading from someone else who had a glucose device, they said they called the company and the company said the impacts are unknown - BUT that they may not be apparent right away and that repeated trips through the mmWave scanner might slowly damage it.

It could be entirely inaccurate, just wanted to share what I had read.