Rocket rods

All about the Mouse in the West!
Elliot1
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Rocket rods

Postby Elliot1 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:21 pm

Does anyone remember a ride called rocket rods? My brother made me go on that ride. I went on it. I didn't like it. After the ride, my heart was beating so fast. I'm not a fan of roller coasters.
Elliot Felde
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Re: Rocket rods

Postby DLandChris » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:05 am

I do remember it. I actually liked riding it, though it broke down a lot and one time I was on it.
BretH
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby BretH » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:30 am

I remember the ride but is it bad that I remember the queue even more? The first time I rode it the queue took 2 hours to get through. The old CircleVision 360 theater got a little monotonous with its circular switchback. I don't know how many times I had to watch that film loop and it felt like we were never going to get out of that room. It's too bad that the ride didn't work out on the Peoplemover track. The idea wasn't bad.
"Anything's possible at Disneyland." - Walt Disney, 1965
LadyElspeth
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby LadyElspeth » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:42 am

BretH wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:30 am I remember the ride but is it bad that I remember the queue even more? The first time I rode it the queue took 2 hours to get through.
Same here! I barely remember actually riding Rocket Rods, but I definitely remember waiting in that long line. :?
Red Beans & Ricely Yours...
Poppy
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby Poppy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:16 pm

not the most long-lived attraction out there (blink and ya missed it, 1998-2000) but i found it interesting for what it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WUbeJgYuHg
Former DLand CM loving life - worked Outdoor Vending & Tomorrowland Attractions (Peoplemover, Submarine Voyage, Mission to Mars, Star Tours) :)
2infinityandbeyond
Mopper
Mopper

Postby 2infinityandbeyond » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:19 pm

It was just broken SO MUCH! Lol
Nic
2 Infinity and Beyond
Poppy
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby Poppy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:31 pm

true :D
Former DLand CM loving life - worked Outdoor Vending & Tomorrowland Attractions (Peoplemover, Submarine Voyage, Mission to Mars, Star Tours) :)
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:54 pm

I do have a story about Rocket Rods that will also say how bonkers for Disney my best friend and I are. There was, at one point, a single rider line. It was still long where I think we waited maybe an hour at least toward the end of the day. It had been a rainy day, but we didn't think much of it. He got in a car first and then I followed in the car behind. Mid-way through the ride it started to rain. The ride also broke down at that point. My car stopped where the front half was out of the Innoventions/Carousel Theater tunnel about to go through the track that was above Autopia. I was in the back, not in the rain, thankfully. But I knew my friend was stuck on the track in the rain! The ride started again and then I got soaked through the rest of the track. When we were exiting cast members apologized and handed us a front of the line pass for any ride. We thought that was awesome and used them for Space Mountain. The End.

Also, this same friend and I have a story about having a very funny ride on Aquatopia at Tokyo DisneySea but I'll save that for an appropriate board and topic post.
Dive Bar Casanova
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Dive Bar Casanova » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:48 pm

It was a slow loading ride. Didn't handle too many guest per hour. Evidently high maintenance and frequent break downs. Long waits in line kept us away. Fun ride though.
Not one of Eisner's better ideas especially it replacing the beloved People Mover.
Brewbud
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Brewbud » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:29 pm

I rode it several times. You were lucky if the ride did not breakdown while you were in line. It was an odd ride. It had good acceleration at some points but since the track was not banked it was odd.
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:17 am

Such a short lived ride rode it couple of times but they should have left the people mover bad move
Anjin
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Anjin » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:22 pm

I really enjoyed Rocket Rods, if only for the novelty. The queue was something else, though. Starting with the Tomorrowland Vehicle room, through the Circlevision theater (which was really cool if you weren't stuck in there too long), and then the tunnel under the street to get up to the tower. The whole thing was wacky, which was part of the charm. Can't say I miss it, though. They just need to finally replace it.
Niknak88
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Niknak88 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:48 pm

Poppy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:31 pm Image

true :D
How cool!! I never knew there was a ride there!! I think that’s a special dessert area, now!!
Have Courage, and Be Kind!
-Hi, I’m Nikki! (Nikki in the Chat)
-Tomorrowland Lover
-Stitch is my Favorite
-Disney is life!!