Disneyland recommendations for new visitors

All about the Mouse in the West!
JLThemeParkDude
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Disneyland recommendations for new visitors

Postby JLThemeParkDude » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:18 am

I've been a visitor to Walt Disney World since 1974, when I was 4 years old. However, I've never visited Disneyland.

What experiences and rides in Disneyland do you Disneyland regulars recommend for a newbie like me (and all other newbies)? What are "must see" and "must do" rides and experiences that are distinctively Disneyland (and which maybe are not available in Walt Disney World)?

(Or anything cool a newbie should check out, even if it is also at WDW.)
Major theme park fan (Male, 50) in Central Florida enjoying Walt Disney World, Universal, Sea World, and other great attractions.
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Re: Disneyland recommendations for new visitors

Postby DLandChris » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:31 am

It’s quite a lot actually. Some of the rides you find at WDW are different at DL and worth making an effort to go on. For example, Pirates and Haunted are different enough. Space is pretty different as well. As far as unique it’s Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit, Pinocchio, Snow White, Alice, Storybookland, Casey jr. and Mr. Toad (now that it’s gone in MK) in Disneyland. In DCA it’s all of Cars Land, Screamin’, Guardians, and Goofy’s Sky School.

It’s almost easier to say what to “sacrifice” if you want to get on some others and frequent WDW enough. I’d say star tours, galaxy’s edge stuff, soarin’ (though sometimes we still get the California version for a couple months), dumbo, tea cups, and little mermaid are all pretty much exact duplicates.
RandiTravis
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby RandiTravis » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:30 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is Cars Land in DCA. I think it's the best thing created in the Disneyland Resort since Walt, and that's saying a lot because there's been some great stuff (ie: Thunder Mountain and Indiana Jones). The thought put into this land makes it so immersive. I've never even seen any Cars movie, and I love this land. It's amazing. Wait for Radiator Springs. It's worth it. And go at night too! Tomorrowland may be missing the Peoplemover, but the esthetic is the best. Go to the top of the monorail platform and take a look at the submarine lagoon with the Matterhorn and Autopia in the view. It's one of my favorite spots and views in the park and it can't be found in another park. Very beautiful and kinetic. Enjoy!
randyf79
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby randyf79 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:34 pm

If you are a hardcore Disney fan, I would recommend the "Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps" Guided Tour". Now things may have changed since we went on it...but the real thing to confirm is whether the tour will include a visit to "Walt's Apartment" above the Firehouse. As you probably know, Walt and his family had a small apartment above the Fire House that he spent many nights in during the park's construction and beyond. The apartment is maintained just as Walt and Lillian furnished it. It's a hugely special thing to visit it. Beyond that, you'll get some special access (quick) to some of the classic attractions and the tour guides are very knowledgeable and friendly. A meal/snack is also included and we received special "pins" that we display in our home.
"What if there was a place...a magical place...where anything was possible! Want to go?"
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:40 pm

randyf79 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:34 pm If you are a hardcore Disney fan, I would recommend the "Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps" Guided Tour". Now things may have changed since we went on it...but the real thing to confirm is whether the tour will include a visit to "Walt's Apartment" above the Firehouse. As you probably know, Walt and his family had a small apartment above the Fire House that he spent many nights in during the park's construction and beyond. The apartment is maintained just as Walt and Lillian furnished it. It's a hugely special thing to visit it. Beyond that, you'll get some special access (quick) to some of the classic attractions and the tour guides are very knowledgeable and friendly. A meal/snack is also included and we received special "pins" that we display in our home.
I forgot about the tours. I want to say I've heard they don't take people up to the apartment on the tour anymore, but I might be wrong. I have heard sometimes you can get a ride in the Lilly Belle, the special caboose of the train. It's not always attached, and you have to get to the park super early, be one of the first at the train station, and I've also heard you have to sort of not ask, but ask about it (yes, it's confusing). So, I don't know if I would recommend for new visitors, but it would make a really really memorable trip!