My “What if Disney” idea

All about the Mouse in the East!
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

My “What if Disney” idea

Postby The Maher Family » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:16 pm

My what if Disney... Something that doesn’t exist but really should! What if Disney created a Northeastern Disney Ski Resort? An imposingly huge and amazingly detailed Wilderness Lodge style hotel draped with snow and a mountain backdrop reaching into the white blanket sky. A gentle flurry cascading down a ski mountain to the right and a series of classic rides to the left. Imagine the glistening steps as you dance towards the many classic rides Dumbo, Small World, Soaring, or any other indoor or semi indoor rides. The entrance could be a beautiful alpine village style main street; the brilliant colors and architecture of being in a fairytale. Just as the Magic Kingdom it should end in a park iconic mountain bobsled ride! Or... Maybe the Arendelle Castle if it fits better. It’s my dream to have Northeast access to a local Disney fix. If you like my idea, please add your ideas to make that park awesome! If you have your own Disney what if idea, please add that to the chat!
jbletheby
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Re: My “What if Disney” idea

Postby jbletheby » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:22 pm

The Maher Family wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:16 pm My what if Disney... Something that doesn’t exist but really should! What if Disney created a Northeastern Disney Ski Resort? An imposingly huge and amazingly detailed Wilderness Lodge style hotel draped with snow and a mountain backdrop reaching into the white blanket sky. A gentle flurry cascading down a ski mountain to the right and a series of classic rides to the left. Imagine the glistening steps as you dance towards the many classic rides Dumbo, Small World, Soaring, or any other indoor or semi indoor rides. The entrance could be a beautiful alpine village style main street; the brilliant colors and architecture of being in a fairytale. Just as the Magic Kingdom it should end in a park iconic mountain bobsled ride! Or... Maybe the Arendelle Castle if it fits better. It’s my dream to have Northeast access to a local Disney fix. If you like my idea, please add your ideas to make that park awesome! If you have your own Disney what if idea, please add that to the chat!
Love the questions some questions for thought
what would happen in the summer.

What are the winter ips that could be used
should characters be the ski instructors :) im thinking goofy
should there be a live show or ampitheatre for outside shows?
If you can dream it you can do it - Walt
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:07 pm

Summer: If I could have classic rides, character restaurants, a few shows and Disney Parks shopping; I am there for summer!
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:09 pm

jbletheby wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:22 pm
The Maher Family wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:16 pm My what if Disney... Something that doesn’t exist but really should! What if Disney created a Northeastern Disney Ski Resort? An imposingly huge and amazingly detailed Wilderness Lodge style hotel draped with snow and a mountain backdrop reaching into the white blanket sky. A gentle flurry cascading down a ski mountain to the right and a series of classic rides to the left. Imagine the glistening steps as you dance towards the many classic rides Dumbo, Small World, Soaring, or any other indoor or semi indoor rides. The entrance could be a beautiful alpine village style main street; the brilliant colors and architecture of being in a fairytale. Just as the Magic Kingdom it should end in a park iconic mountain bobsled ride! Or... Maybe the Arendelle Castle if it fits better. It’s my dream to have Northeast access to a local Disney fix. If you like my idea, please add your ideas to make that park awesome! If you have your own Disney what if idea, please add that to the chat!

I love the idea of an amphitheater!
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:23 pm

jbletheby wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:22 pm

Characters are a necessity! Those old Goofy how to videos as a meet and greet, outstanding!
MouseDan
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby MouseDan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:06 pm

Walt actually had something like that in mind at the same time he was planning Walt Disney World, except it was going to be in California instead of the Northeast. Disney’s Mineral King Ski Resort, which was to be located in the Mineral King Valley, at the time outside Sequoia National Park in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, he thought it up after his experience at the 1960 Winter Olympics, at which he was the head of the pageantry committee, he was responsible for all the ceremonial aspects of that particular Olympics, from the Torch Relay, to the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, even the Medal Presentations were all designed by him.

But going back to the resort, Walt designed it with the help of a famous Olympic ski coach Willy Schaeffler, and planned for it to open in 1973, but of course he died before he could start building it, the company tried to do it without him, but the opposition by preservationists who didn’t want it built was too great, so they eventually gave up, and the Valley is now part of Sequoia National Park.

Here’s some concept art of it

Also here’s a link to Yesterland with more details about it and a fun fact too:

https://www.yesterland.com/mineralking.html
jbletheby
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby jbletheby » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:11 am

MouseDan wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:06 pm Walt actually had something like that in mind at the same time he was planning Walt Disney World, except it was going to be in California instead of the Northeast. Disney’s Mineral King Ski Resort, which was to be located in the Mineral King Valley, at the time outside Sequoia National Park in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, he thought it up after his experience at the 1960 Winter Olympics, at which he was the head of the pageantry committee, he was responsible for all the ceremonial aspects of that particular Olympics, from the Torch Relay, to the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, even the Medal Presentations were all designed by him.

But going back to the resort, Walt designed it with the help of a famous Olympic ski coach Willy Schaeffler, and planned for it to open in 1973, but of course he died before he could start building it, the company tried to do it without him, but the opposition by preservationists who didn’t want it built was too great, so they eventually gave up, and the Valley is now part of Sequoia National Park.

That is very cool, even though im not much of a winter sport person.
jbletheby
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby jbletheby » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:14 am

it would be nice to have a disney location based on outdoor experiences. Since Disney is about the experience. I would be very curious about how he would plus the ski slopes. maybe a ride up to the slopes. walking trails to explore, what about a cool runnings bobsled ride(im not sure that is ip but that would be fun)
Brad192
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Brad192 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:14 am

Didn't Walt try something like this back in the '60's in CA? I believe it failed impressively. :o
jbletheby
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby jbletheby » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:50 am

Brad192 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:14 am Didn't Walt try something like this back in the '60's in CA? I believe it failed impressively. :o
Failing never stopped walt
MouseDan
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby MouseDan » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Brad192 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:14 am Didn't Walt try something like this back in the '60's in CA? I believe it failed impressively. :o
He did, but died while it was still on the drawing board, and sadly it never got much farther than that, it got stuck in a series of legal battles, and eventually Congress made it part of Sequoia National Park.

Here’s where it would have been today

The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:19 am

MouseDan wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:06 pm Walt actually had something like that in mind at the same time he was planning Walt Disney World, except it was going to be in California instead of the Northeast. Disney’s Mineral King Ski Resort, which was to be located in the Mineral King Valley, at the time outside Sequoia National Park in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, he thought it up after his experience at the 1960 Winter Olympics, at which he was the head of the pageantry committee, he was responsible for all the ceremonial aspects of that particular Olympics, from the Torch Relay, to the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, even the Medal Presentations were all designed by him.

Wow, that is actually very similar to my vision. I wonder if I saw it before or it’s just naturally the way a Disney ski resort should look?
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:23 am

It always shocks me when something that seems like it’s such a no brainer fails.
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:24 am

MouseDan wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:04 pm
He did, but died while it was still on the drawing board, and sadly it never got much farther than that, it got stuck in a series of legal battles, and eventually Congress made it part of Sequoia National Park.

I could see why he chose that spot it’s amazing!

randyf79
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby randyf79 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 pm

So my "What if Disney..." is related to the live, Broadway versions of their stories (Aladdin, Lion King, Mary Poppins, etc.)...

First is the easier version....have a Big Theater at Disney Springs that would offer a rotating (changes each year?) version of the shows....

Second....and this is the Blue Sky version...a giant, Carousel of Progress type of moving theater....where each venue would be a song/scene from one of Disney's Broadway shows. The scenes could be of two possible types...a giant video wall (3D?) of an actual performance...or...the ultimate in animatronics version with a combo of audioanimatronics (maybe even a few live actors??!!) and video wall technology. Exiting the attraction you would find (wait for it...) a gift shop with all kinds of Disney Broadway show memorabilia for your home. Let the lines begin...
"What if there was a place...a magical place...where anything was possible! Want to go?"
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:37 am

randyf79 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 pm So my "What if Disney..." is related to the live, Broadway versions of their stories (Aladdin, Lion King, Mary Poppins, etc.)...

First is the easier version....have a Big Theater at Disney Springs that would offer a rotating (changes each year?) version of the shows....

Second....and this is the Blue Sky version...a giant, Carousel of Progress type of moving theater....where each venue would be a song/scene from one of Disney's Broadway shows. The scenes could be of two possible types...a giant video wall (3D?) of an actual performance...or...the ultimate in animatronics version with a combo of audioanimatronics (maybe even a few live actors??!!) and video wall technology. Exiting the attraction you would find (wait for it...) a gift shop with all kinds of Disney Broadway show memorabilia for your home. Let the lines begin...
That’s brilliant! It seems like a promotional opportunity that Disney is missing out on... that is rare!
jbletheby
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby jbletheby » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:17 pm

Disney says the park will be ever evolving, which i love but hate at the same time.

ok how bout this for a what if. take flight of passage technology, trackless rides, and technology from the void. Now go with me here!

What about having a ride that is vrish in nature, where you could ride your old ride. the old rides(mr toads) and experience them one more time. you would pick your que on which ride of the day it would be. it could change weekly or daily.?

thoughts?
mary
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby mary » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 am

Something that doesn’t exist in any Disney Parks but really should is...
What if Disney created a Tangled Ride?? It is shocking to me that Tangled does not get more recognition in the parks. For being one of the best Disney movies (in my opinion ;)) you would think Tangled would get more than a Tangled themed bathroom :lol: I hope someday Disney gives this amazing movie the attention it deserves and we get more Tangled in the parks. I think a Tangled dark ride would be amazing!! Maybe a water ride with some drops? :D
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:05 pm

mary wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:04 am Something that doesn’t exist in any Disney Parks but really should is...
What if Disney created a Tangled Ride?? It is shocking to me that Tangled does not get more recognition in the parks. For being one of the best Disney movies (in my opinion ;)) you would think Tangled would get more than a Tangled themed bathroom :lol: I hope someday Disney gives this amazing movie the attention it deserves and we get more Tangled in the parks. I think a Tangled dark ride would be amazing!! Maybe a water ride with some drops? :D
Tangled is my daughters favorite movie! She believes with, (Corona), she is living it. A Tangled ride would be amazing!!!
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:06 pm

jbletheby wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:17 pm Disney says the park will be ever evolving, which i love but hate at the same time.

ok how bout this for a what if. take flight of passage technology, trackless rides, and technology from the void. Now go with me here!

What about having a ride that is vrish in nature, where you could ride your old ride. the old rides(mr toads) and experience them one more time. you would pick your que on which ride of the day it would be. it could change weekly or daily.?

thoughts?
Could that exist??? That is brilliant! I love it!
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:07 pm

The Maher Family wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:24 am

Any chance they could revive a dead idea and make it relevant again?
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:52 pm

jbletheby wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:17 pm Disney says the park will be ever evolving, which i love but hate at the same time.

thoughts?
They could have VR goggles with a trackless ride system and you could be in any ride. Great idea!!!
Wayfinder
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Wayfinder » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:00 am

randyf79 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:29 pm So my "What if Disney..." is related to the live, Broadway versions of their stories (Aladdin, Lion King, Mary Poppins, etc.)...

Second....and this is the Blue Sky version...a giant, Carousel of Progress type of moving theater....where each venue would be a song/scene from one of Disney's Broadway shows. The scenes could be of two possible types...a giant video wall (3D?) of an actual performance...or...the ultimate in animatronics version with a combo of audio animatronics (maybe even a few live actors??!!) and video wall technology. Exiting the attraction you would find (wait for it...) a gift shop with all kinds of Disney Broadway show memorabilia for your home. Let the lines begin...
This is a genius idea. I think they could easily add the theater to Disney Springs. Honestly, they could place it near Cirque de Soleil and turn that area into a theater section. They could add a comedy showcase too, which would start to bring back some elements of Pleasure Island. There is just so much opportunity still with Disney Springs.
Wayfinder AKA Trent
Last WDW Visit: 2/11/21
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Fri May 07, 2021 7:18 pm

The Maher Family wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:07 pm
The Maher Family wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:24 am

Any chance they could revive a dead idea and make it relevant again?
Probably not worth the investment. Disney won’t compete against itself. Anyone visiting a ski lodge/off Broadway isn’t spending their money where they want.
The Maher Family
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby The Maher Family » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:05 am

An Oktoberfest themed area in the German Pavilion: The major issue with World Showcase is that there are only a few rides. If they created an Oktoberfest area they could use a bunch of out of the box rides that would be exactly like the real Oktoberfest; instant theme! They have something similar already in Animal Kingdom with Dinoland. Games and carnival rides that absorb a huge number of people and move quickly. Behind the games a giant tent with beer and pretzels, on the other side Munchen buildings facade. This would definitely funnel people to an area without any rides and spread things out.