Traveling with Teens and preteens

All about the Mouse in the East!
SandyPandy
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Traveling with Teens and preteens

Postby SandyPandy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:02 am

Traveling with teens and preteens finding common places has its challenges. any suggestions?
:) SandyPandy
Courtney Scott
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Re: Traveling with Teens and preteens

Postby Courtney Scott » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:15 am

I'm here for the advice. My 15 year old claims she doesn't even want to go with us on our next trip. Says 'we always go to Disney'. I say what's wrong with that!? :lol:
SandyPandy
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby SandyPandy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:12 am

Courtney Scott wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:15 am I'm here for the advice. My 15 year old claims she doesn't even want to go with us on our next trip. Says 'we always go to Disney'. I say what's wrong with that!? :lol:
i hear ya :) the only way i get my 13 year old excited is buying Universal theme park ticket for the Wizardly World of harry potter!
:) SandyPandy
CarrieMcClaine
Mopper
Mopper

Postby CarrieMcClaine » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:43 am

My kids were bored last time we took them to Disney World. We do WDW every year and they're tired of it. So we left the kids at home and took a wonderful adults trip without them. They enjoyed spending time with a family member they don't see very often. And we enjoyed the freedom of no complaining and bored kids.
Chaynes
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Chaynes » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:54 am

I'd say let them get involved in the planning process. They can weigh in on meals and fast-passes (assuming they're back). Looking ahead to the trip builds up so much excitement.
Brian Karl
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby Brian Karl » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:40 pm

I guess I’m lucky I have 3 girls 16,13&12 and they still live to go. We do include them in the planning
Doug Jones
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Doug Jones » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:21 pm

My wife and I have a philosophy, you get out of it what you put into it... Fortunately for us is we are both big kids. Our son is 20 and daughter 19 and they still want to go to Disney with mom and dad. When they were just preteens and then teens we made sure their Disney experience was positive. Getting them involved is the best way, and if mom and dad are having a blast, it is a great example to them.
To all who come to this Happy Place....WELCOME
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby summerinthecity » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:28 am

I don't know if they still have it, but there was a teen Disney program and my sister did it the last few times we went. You sign up by the day and spend the whole day together. (She really hates the parks and doesn't want to take her kids.) This was a thousand years ago (late 90s/early 2000s). I didn't do it because I like being in the park, but the program was really well done and taught the teens/preteens about the artistic design of the parks. We still have the book they gave the teens (like a textbook) and I think it's cool to introduce teens to production design/ art direction / graphic design.

RE: everyone who says their kids don't want to go to Disney, I think it's not a bad idea to do something else for a bit because as I think youtuber Freddie Wong put it: Disneyland is like Halloween, it's cool before 10, then not cool until you're 18, then it is cool forever.

You could do national parks or DC's museums, San Francisco, Boston, New York, Texas, etc.