Is it weird to go to DW alone as an adult?

All about the Mouse in the East!
DisneyMaster
New Hopper
New Hopper

Is it weird to go to DW alone as an adult?

Postby DisneyMaster » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:34 pm

I am considering planning a trip to Disney World for the 50th Anniversary. The problem is, I may not be able to find any friends or family who are available to go. Has anyone ever done a solo Disney trip? What was your experience like? If you haven't, what are your thoughts?
SeaBaseAlpha86
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Re: Is it weird to go to DW alone as an adult?

Postby SeaBaseAlpha86 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:14 pm

I've had many solo trips, and prefer going to Disney alone. I was widowed at 42, and I don't know of anyone that I'm close to that likes to go to Disney as much as my late husband did. So, I started going alone, and now I love it.

It's not weird at all, and I've seen many people there by themselves. I go at my own pace, do exactly what I want, make plans, change plans, wake up at the crack of dawn or sleep in. I have certain rides that I'm fanatical about and will ride over and over (I'm looking at you Spaceship Earth). When places get too noisy or crowded for my taste, I just scurry to a quiet area. I don't rush anywhere. I walk at probably 1/3 of the pace of everyone else. On my Dec trip, I sat by the carousel at MK and listened to the music and watched the birds for a solid hour.

I get a whole Skyliner gondola to myself, and a whole section of the busses and monorails to myself.

I book a king bed and sleep in the absolute middle. :D

I had 3 solos last year, one this year and I have one booked for 2022.
WDW Pilgrim Since 1978
OhanaMana
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby OhanaMana » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:13 pm

From the (too) many Disney parks related forums I'm a member of, the ratio of people who have traveled alone and loved it compared to those who traveled alone and hated it is like 10:1. From my perspective, I would most likely enjoy a shorter solo trip i.e. 3 nights. If for whatever reason I am in the area for work or something, I would absolutely spend some time at Disney World before heading home. Traveling solo is exactly that - you alone can make all the plans. You can go as fast or slow as you want and literally no one can change your plans for you. You can eat somewhere you may not have been able to do in the past because of whatever reasons. You can stay out super late at Magic Kingdom and close it down to just embrace the empty ambiance of one of your favorite places on earth.

I say go for it! Especially later this year when COVID restrictions will most likely be much more relaxed - masks potentially may not be required (thinking Nov earliest for this possibility) - most entertainment shows should be back, including any special entertainment shows planned for the 50th. I think it'll be a great time!
WDW: 1998, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Most recent trip: Feb 2020 Contemporary & Coronado Springs Resort
Next trip: Dec 2021 - Bay Lake Tower
GAN
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby GAN » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:15 pm

I've had a few solo trips last last few years and thoroughly enjoyed them. There's something to be said about a vacation that's totally at your own pace. I usually do some park time, pool time, read, have a couple cocktails. As far as dining I feel like a bar seat at many locations is the best move because the service is usually great and the bartenders can be fun to chat with. Off the top of my head ..Homecomin', Geyser Point, ESPN all had great bartenders(and food).
DisneyMaster
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby DisneyMaster » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:17 pm

SeaBaseAlpha86 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:14 pm I've had many solo trips, and prefer going to Disney alone. I was widowed at 42, and I don't know of anyone that I'm close to that likes to go to Disney as much as my late husband did. So, I started going alone, and now I love it.

It's not weird at all, and I've seen many people there by themselves. I go at my own pace, do exactly what I want, make plans, change plans, wake up at the crack of dawn or sleep in. I have certain rides that I'm fanatical about and will ride over and over (I'm looking at you Spaceship Earth). When places get too noisy or crowded for my taste, I just scurry to a quiet area. I don't rush anywhere. I walk at probably 1/3 of the pace of everyone else. On my Dec trip, I sat by the carousel at MK and listened to the music and watched the birds for a solid hour.

I get a whole Skyliner gondola to myself, and a whole section of the busses and monorails to myself.

I book a king bed and sleep in the absolute middle. :D

I had 3 solos last year, one this year and I have one booked for 2022.
Thank you for sharing and my condolences. For different reasons, I also won't be able to go with that special someone who enjoys Disney as much as I do anymore. I know it will be different but I want to continue to go because I really do enjoy the Disney atmosphere. It will be an interesting experience but I am excited!
Just Theo
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Just Theo » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:00 pm

I typically go by myself. It’s very relaxing and easy. As some of the other people have said, you can come and go as you please, do what you want, eat what you want, etc etc. I get the idea that you want to have a shared experience as well...I do miss that sometimes, but I think the freedom of a solo trip is also enjoyable. I’d suggest planing to spend more time in the bigger parks, EPCOT, and MK. Animal Kingdom is big but I find it’s not as fun by yourself, and the way the park is themed to be sorta “random” creates a lot of bottlenecks and Hollywood Studios is a half day park at most solo.
“Welcome to Costco, I love you”
Poppy
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby Poppy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:22 pm

Not weird at all

The first time I visited WDW in the 1990's, I went by myself when I was single. Spent 3 days there. It was kinda nice to just wander around and take everything at my own pace. I remember just hopping between parks, visiting Ft Wilderness to see the horse stables, riding some of the watercraft around Bay Lake, and just chilling overall. It was pretty relaxing, to be honest, especially the first time there, as I didn't feel like I needed to rush everywhere with other people. I only had myself to answer to, so if I wanted to just sit and enjoy a sake and appetizer outside for an hour at the Japan pavilion and people-watch, I did :D
Former DLand CM loving life - worked Outdoor Vending & Tomorrowland Attractions (Peoplemover, Submarine Voyage, Mission to Mars, Star Tours) :)
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:30 pm

I went Solo in February 2020 - it was great. I ended up being able to do a lot more than I would and eat at places I had wanted to try. It was actually really nice! I still would prefer to go with someone else, but I wouldn't hesitate to go by myself if the opportunity arose.

Also, there are groups on Facebook and probably other places (maybe there needs to be a thread or forum for it here!) looking for people going Solo to WDW and wanting to hangout in the parks. The one thing that I did kind of find awkward was eating alone, so I grabbed dinner with someone else who was solo and it was actually pretty cool - got to meet some new people that way! :)
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:28 am

Not at all. I’ve gone more times solo than with friends or family. Even made a friend that lives out there now. I think the only hard thing is dining reservations that if you search as 1 it sometimes doesn’t bring up places. Just search for 2 and then when you check in tell them it’s just you. It’s fine. The only penalty is if you cancel entirely less than 24 hours.
AnimalKingdomFan79
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby AnimalKingdomFan79 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:38 am

DisneyMaster wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:34 pm I am considering planning a trip to Disney World for the 50th Anniversary. The problem is, I may not be able to find any friends or family who are available to go. Has anyone ever done a solo Disney trip? What was your experience like? If you haven't, what are your thoughts?
I would totally go! I think with the 50th there is going to be so much to do and see and experience you probably won't even feel like you're alone. I have also heard of Facebook groups for solo travelers and they have opportunities for folks to meet up at parks so if you're comfortable with that, it's definitely an option. Have a great time, and get that reservation :)
nittanylions
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby nittanylions » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:09 pm

DisneyMaster wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:34 pm I am considering planning a trip to Disney World for the 50th Anniversary. The problem is, I may not be able to find any friends or family who are available to go. Has anyone ever done a solo Disney trip? What was your experience like? If you haven't, what are your thoughts?
Go and enjoy yourself if you want to do it! There’s nothing wrong with it. The 50th will only happen once.
DisneyGirl82
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby DisneyGirl82 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:52 pm

No, it's not weird. You should do it.
CH-GenX
Platinum Hopper
Platinum Hopper

Postby CH-GenX » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:20 pm

Nope I did it back in the summer of 19. CM's are really super extra nice to you-

It's just amazing to walk and wander and just enjoy.....

Old School Signature
Niknak88
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Niknak88 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Nope!! If I lived closer to Disney World, I would do it all the time!! More time for food, photos and character hugs!! Oh, and you can’t forget shopping!!
Have Courage, and Be Kind!
-Hi, I’m Nikki! (Nikki in the Chat)
-Tomorrowland Lover
-Stitch is my Favorite
-Disney is life!!

Toria
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Toria » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:29 am

I did a solo trip last month for 4 days. At first it felt weird, but I quickly got over it. It was such a relaxing trip. I didn't have to worry about who didn't want to do what, came and went as I pleased, ate when I wanted to or not, waited for a ride while not having to hear anyone complain about the wait. Being a Healthcare worker, my mind need the break. It was satisfying. Enjoy and have a great time!
Live life in your truth!
-Latoria-
jbletheby
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby jbletheby » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:41 pm

i find it very relaxing to go by myself. you get to talk to cast members, experience the what you want when you want. It also lets me appreciate how others see DW when i go with them.
If you can dream it you can do it - Walt
brenda
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby brenda » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:55 pm

Most often I go alone. I am single and have no kids. My friends and family aren't really into Disney so I find myself on solo trips more often than not. Lately, I have convinced my local Floridian family to stay at the hotel with me which has been great because it is nice to see them but they won't go to the parks or pay the "ridiculous" prices. I love my solo trips! When I rarely convince people to come along, I find most of my energy is spent trying to make them enjoy themselves. When I am on my own, I take my time and enjoy what I want how I want to. It's stress free and lovely. So take that solo trip, do whatever you want and enjoy being spontaneous and free!
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." Walter Elias Disney
Wayfinder
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Wayfinder » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:49 am

I've done a few solo trips and it is much more relaxing for me because I can pace myself and not worry about other people's experience. Going solo helps me to discover more so that when I do family trips it is easier for me to know what to do and not to do. Epcot was fun solo because I got to explore the pavilions and eat and drink as much as I wanted. It was also fun to explore the different resorts.
Wayfinder AKA Trent
Last WDW Visit: 2/11/21
Holly Wooden Vine
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby Holly Wooden Vine » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:55 am

Going solo was mentally the best thing I ever did for myself. I went when I was a kid with my family, but we didn’t get along the whole time, and I knew it was something special I wanted to go back to. 15 years later, and absolutely terrified I booked myself a plane ticket and spent 4 days by myself at POP with a park hopper and had the time of my life! Coming from a family that fought all the time and terrible social anxiety it was SO freeing to do Disney the way it worked for me and getting to watch all the other families having meltdowns and you’re just happy to be there. Been 2 other times solo.

In February I finally got up the nerve to take my bestie with me, and since I knew the ropes, ins and outs, all the places I knew she’d like, she had a great time!

So, yes, do yourself a favor and go solo : D
willhc
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby willhc » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:06 pm

I just got back from a solo trip at the start of F&G. It was fun and I could do whatever I wanted and shift plans quickly. I took a lot of photos and was on the phone with my wife so she could be part of it. Certainly worthwhile to do. No one cares that you're alone and there are plenty of others doing it as well. Not weird at all.
Suzynperla
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Suzynperla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:33 am

Anyone thought of sharing cost on a solo trip? I am really looking into going the end of May beginning of June 2021 and would love to share hotel costs. Or would that be just weird?
Wayfinder
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Wayfinder » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:09 am

Suzynperla wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:33 am Anyone thought of sharing cost on a solo trip? I am really looking into going the end of May beginning of June 2021 and would love to share hotel costs. Or would that be just weird?
A part of this community is to grow connections so that maybe meetups can happen! Invest in the relationships here and there can probably be some great trips ahead for a ton of us! Hope you find someone for the May trip!
Wayfinder AKA Trent
Last WDW Visit: 2/11/21