WDW areas which cause family discord

All about the Mouse in the East!
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

WDW areas which cause family discord

Postby summerinthecity » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:27 am

Out of curiosity, did anyone else ever experience major family arguments and fighting over some aspect of WDW? We went a number of times and had a lot of fun, but we would always, ALWAYS have an insane blowout at the Living Seas because a) it was hard to get a reservation b) it happened at the end of a long day or sometimes near the end of the actual trip. Now it's funny and we have laughed about it, but at the time it was just a mysterious annual occurrence and we would try again every time to eat the Living Seas without drama (and not quite succeeding). Some of you might be thinking, "Well, just make a reservation 6 months in advance" but this would not be my family.

I am asking this question in a lighthearted way - I'm just observing that a day full of walking, standing in line, weak hydration, and eating high sodium food can be a perfect storm for a meltdown at WDW.
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Re: WDW areas which cause family discord

Postby Liquid Ice » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:10 pm

Do you mean the Coral Reef restaurant (maybe Living Seas is the old name?) where you are looking into the aquarium in the Seas with Nemo & Friends Pavilion?

We ate there in October and celebrated my son's 4th birthday (his birthday is actually in May, but our May trip got cancelled because Disney World was closed) - he really enjoyed seeing all of the fish (he's a big Nemo fan).

Anyway - our kids are little enough right now where they have had meltdowns but usually we can distract them enough that it doesn't last too long and doesn't spread to other family members :D

So no major family meltdowns yet, but I'm sure they will happen in the future :)
Brewbud
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Brewbud » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:37 pm

Only in our resort room. And only on the day we leave. I have to be dragged out of there kicking and screaming! :lol:
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Oh I am expecting it and preparing myself for it taking 3 teens for the first time I know there's going to be some disagreements and it'll probably be about food and sleeping arrangements :?
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby summerinthecity » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Liquid Ice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:10 pm Do you mean the Coral Reef restaurant (maybe Living Seas is the old name?) where you are looking into the aquarium in the Seas with Nemo & Friends Pavilion?

We ate there in October and celebrated my son's 4th birthday (his birthday is actually in May, but our May trip got cancelled because Disney World was closed) - he really enjoyed seeing all of the fish (he's a big Nemo fan).

Anyway - our kids are little enough right now where they have had meltdowns but usually we can distract them enough that it doesn't last too long and doesn't spread to other family members :D

So no major family meltdowns yet, but I'm sure they will happen in the future :)
I think it's the same place (I am WAY overdue for a visit back to Disney)! I'm glad there is still a restaurant there and that some people actually have fun eating in there ;) Your son seems like he will be more meltdown resistant if he was able to deal with a canceled trip; I'm relieved you were all able to celebrate there.
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby summerinthecity » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:03 pm

T music wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:44 pm Oh I am expecting it and preparing myself for it taking 3 teens for the first time I know there's going to be some disagreements and it'll probably be about food and sleeping arrangements :?
I'll never forget the time we slept 3 to the King sized bed. I woke up and was like "where's my sister" and I had rolled onto her so her night was not as relaxing as mine. She is now a corporate lawyer and always gets her own room.

I have not much advice on the food based on original post re: family being bad at dining planning. I will say that if people seem really mad, just order calamari for the table and people will get over it. This works on everyone of all ages no matter what happened. (Sweet potato fries if vegetarian)
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:08 pm

summerinthecity wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:03 pm
T music wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:44 pm Oh I am expecting it and preparing myself for it taking 3 teens for the first time I know there's going to be some disagreements and it'll probably be about food and sleeping arrangements :?
I'll never forget the time we slept 3 to the King sized bed. I woke up and was like "where's my sister" and I had rolled onto her so her night was not as relaxing as mine. She is now a corporate lawyer and always gets her own room.

I have not much advice on the food based on original post re: family being bad at dining planning. I will say that if people seem really mad, just order calamari for the table and people will get over it. This works on everyone of all ages no matter what happened. (Sweet potato fries if vegetarian)
That’s funny about your sister 😆
Ashley.in.Wonderland
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Ashley.in.Wonderland » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:16 am

For us, it's usually dinner on the last night. We're usually great planners, but somehow never think about where to get dinner on the last night until the last minute. And sometimes we would walk up to quick service restaurants and find them closed, realize that we didn't want to eat there, etc. Plus everyone is grumpy because vacation is almost over. Have never had any other issues on any other night. We finally wised up and started making reservations for that last dinner.
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby summerinthecity » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:56 pm

Ashley.in.Wonderland wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:16 am For us, it's usually dinner on the last night. We're usually great planners, but somehow never think about where to get dinner on the last night until the last minute. And sometimes we would walk up to quick service restaurants and find them closed, realize that we didn't want to eat there, etc. Plus everyone is grumpy because vacation is almost over. Have never had any other issues on any other night. We finally wised up and started making reservations for that last dinner.
This is a pro tip and I'm going to remember this next time I go. But it's also good advice in general for any vacation so we can have something to look forward to.

(Or, I guess I'll end up eating one of those giant lollipops all the gift shops sell that I never see anyone eat.)
Ashley.in.Wonderland
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Ashley.in.Wonderland » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:12 pm

summerinthecity wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:56 pm
Ashley.in.Wonderland wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:16 am For us, it's usually dinner on the last night. We're usually great planners, but somehow never think about where to get dinner on the last night until the last minute. And sometimes we would walk up to quick service restaurants and find them closed, realize that we didn't want to eat there, etc. Plus everyone is grumpy because vacation is almost over. Have never had any other issues on any other night. We finally wised up and started making reservations for that last dinner.
This is a pro tip and I'm going to remember this next time I go. But it's also good advice in general for any vacation so we can have something to look forward to.

(Or, I guess I'll end up eating one of those giant lollipops all the gift shops sell that I never see anyone eat.)
I mean, the giant lollipop is a valid option :lol:
CH-GenX
Platinum Hopper
Platinum Hopper

Postby CH-GenX » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:02 pm

The bank account! I would probably bankrupt us-

Old School Signature
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:11 pm

CH-GenX wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:02 pm The bank account! I would probably bankrupt us-
Truth :lol:
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby summerinthecity » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:13 pm

CH-GenX wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:02 pm The bank account! I would probably bankrupt us-
As the Runaway Railway song goes, "No one can stop us now [from buying a 20 oz soda that is $4.50 and also a $70 sweatshirt]." Regret nothing in the parks ,my dude. Except the turkey leg, but not for financial reasons.
CH-GenX
Platinum Hopper
Platinum Hopper

Postby CH-GenX » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:56 pm

summerinthecity wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:13 pm
As the Runaway Railway song goes, "No one can stop us now [from buying a 20 oz soda that is $4.50 and also a $70 sweatshirt]." Regret nothing in the parks ,my dude. Except the turkey leg, but not for financial reasons.
The reason why I started the best WDW bathroom post!

Old School Signature
ADantuono
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby ADantuono » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 pm

Haha I thought I was the only one. Turkey legs can sometimes cause family discord :lol:
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby summerinthecity » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:25 pm

ADantuono wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 pm
Haha I thought I was the only one. Turkey legs can sometimes cause family discord :lol:
I hope the gif posts, but if it doesn't, it's Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park ("You scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could...") speaking about the turkey leg.
ADantuono
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby ADantuono » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:27 pm

:lol:
summerinthecity wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:25 pm
ADantuono wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 pm

I hope the gif posts, but if it doesn't, it's Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park ("You scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could...") speaking about the turkey leg.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: