Tell about staying off site

All about the Mouse in the East!
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Tell about staying off site

Postby T music » Sun May 09, 2021 7:44 am

If you have stayed off site how was it and where did you stay . Going in Nov and trying to decide we will have 5 people this time so that equals another whole room at most resorts and our group deal is for POP or all stars which only do 4 per room with the deal they got might be cheaper to got off site
Wayfinder
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Re: Tell about staying off site

Postby Wayfinder » Sun May 09, 2021 5:43 pm

We stayed at an AirBnB right at Margaritaville Resort. It was an apartment complex that started off as an AirBnB resort, but seems like COVID may have made it become a 50/50 apartment and rental complex. It was really nice and affordable. You could walk to Margaritaville and to the shopping center. It was only 5 minutes from Animal Kingdom and so easy to get to all of the other parks. I would highly recommend trying offsite at least once. We are staying onsite the next time, because there is just something about being able to leave a park and take a bus/boat/skyliner to your resort for a nap and not have to worry about driving. If you can afford to stay onsite, do it. But if you want to save on lodging, there are tons of condos (Blue Heron) and other places to stay that are nice, spacious and comfortable.
Wayfinder AKA Trent
Last WDW Visit: 2/11/21
AnimalKingdomFan79
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby AnimalKingdomFan79 » Sun May 09, 2021 7:36 pm

I stayed at the Springhill Suites in Lake Buena Vista https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ ... t-village/
It was a WDW Good Neighbor Hotel so they had shuttles + you were able to buy tix there (which I didn't)
Overall, it was a good experience because there was free breakfast, the shuttle wasn't the best it was pretty disorganized, but the size of the room was great. They had a pool which was never too crowded and they have other amenities (gym, playground, 'Starbucks) + it was close to the vineland outlets and a lot of places to eat (even in walking distance)

I think comparing costs + considering staying offsite (particularly at a WDW Good Neighbor Hotel) is worth looking into. It allows you to have more funds to spend at the parks etc.
reaganbetter
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby reaganbetter » Mon May 10, 2021 1:01 am

Kissimmee, FL is a great alternative suburban area trying to reopen since COVID. It's so close enough to Walt Disney World, you don't need I-4 traffic jams.
Tons of strip malls, budget motel and hotels, and off the airport car rentals. This area lost major tourism revenue over the years. Its safer than Downtown Orlando nearby and higher hotel room prices at the airport.

Grand Orlando Resort at Celebration, Used to named The Radisson Hotel Kissimmee. The hotel rooms were renovated-remodeled twice.
My family stayed there twice. Once in 1989, and once in 2006. The first time, they had a game room. We met a family of 4 that offered
really dirt cheap Walt Disney World, any day tickets. The family had a conflict at home and had to leave Disney early from vacation. This was
before any park hopping. Hotel has huge water slides, giant outdoor pool. Our 2nd time, hotel offered really dirt cheap rates
using our AAA cards, up to 25-30% off rooms. The hotel upgraded our two double bed room to a suite with kitchen,
one room and sofa that folds out. The only difference is we booked park hopper to explore all the parks more.
Negative: When, we stayed there. Rooms were very dated in 1989 but better in 2006. There was no continental breakfast option yet until 2006.

See photo number 2. that was our hotel.
https://palisadehotelyubacity.com/radis ... -kissimmee

Holiday Inn Express & Suites S Lake Buena Vista, an IHG Hotel in Kissimmee, FL. Rooms just finished a 3 year renovation as of 2020.
LOCATION: Superb, right off Walt Disney Worlds highway, on the Buena Vista line.
Extreme close to Disney Springs, the outlet shopping mall of Walt Disney World, that offers FREE PARKING 9am-10pm.
Free Public Transportation at Disney Springs on the Disney BUS to any of the parks. No tolls, no fees etc. Connection to the monorail and skyliner.
Parking at Disney is expensive at $25.00 per day-night via toll booths.
Stayed at hotel, in 2009 and 2010. Free internet and free continental breakfast.
This hotel came out of reference since I stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Clearwater, FL, on the causeway (really nice place)
This Holiday Inn is on many budget websites. Hotels.com and others. Here are some photos
https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/inn-at ... o-cay.html
WisconsinDisneyDad
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby WisconsinDisneyDad » Mon May 10, 2021 6:16 am

T music wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:44 am If you have stayed off site how was it and where did you stay . Going in Nov and trying to decide we will have 5 people this time so that equals another whole room at most resorts and our group deal is for POP or all stars which only do 4 per room with the deal they got might be cheaper to got off site
We have stayed offsite in a condo, which was nice, but if only some want to go back during the day, then some are "trapped" at the park. That's why we went back to on property, have that flexible transportation during the day.

Much cheaper to stay off. A decent house is like $800 for a week. Add in the car and daily park parking, and you're still well below the cost of any on property option.

Having the car is a nice touch, though, to do shopping outside of Springs. Disney Character Warehouses in the outlet malls are epic scores for merch. Plus you can drive to whatever restaurant you want around the area. And YOU control what time you get to the park, not a line or possibly slow running Disney transport options.
Feb 2020 - off prop
Sept 2020 - Pop
Nov 2020 - off prop
March 2021 - CBR
Sept 2021 - AoA
APs since Sept 2021
Dec 2021 - CBR
Jan 2022 - Port Orleans Riverside / CBR / Poly
Jan 2022 - runDisney 5K
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Tue May 11, 2021 5:58 am

Have you looked at Art of Animation or All Star Music? Both have family suites that are larger.

There's also https://disneyspringshotels.com/

With Disney Springs hotels, you still get access to Disney buses in Disney Springs in the afternoons and each hotel has their own shuttle to get to the parks. If I recall correctly, at least one of the Disney Springs hotels have suites that sleep more than 4 (check the Doubletree Suites by Hilton). Disney Spring hotels offer the same "perks" as staying on site, right now there aren't really any except for utilizing the Disney Park Pass availability by resort guest instead of ticket holder. But, supposedly the parks will open an extra 30 mins early for resort guests and this should include Disney Springs area hotels.

Also consider the new Flamingo Crossings area - there are a few Marriott owned hotels there. They also offer shuttles, but currently do not get the same perks as Disney Springs area hotels - if you're driving it isn't a big deal again, but the hotels there are relatively new - and because Flamingo Crossing is a Disney owned property

Lastly - consider renting DVC points. There are DVC studios that sleep 5 people ( Beach Club, Boardwalk, Boulder Ridge, Polynesian and Grand Floridian ) - as well as 1-bedroom villas that sleep 5 ( Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bay Lake Tower, Grand Floridian, Old Key West, Riviera, Saratoga Springs (refurbished rooms, right now a Preferred room guarantees a refurb room). Boardwalk and Boulder Ridge will allow a 5th person in a 1-bedroom but there is no bed for them, they need to bring a sleeping bag.

DVC Rentals (check out the site sponsor, https://dvcrequest.com ) - essentially is using someone's Time Share points that they can't use. Generally speaking, DVC points can be rented at close to 40% off the rack rate that Disney sells those same rooms at - and if you need to sleep 5, it can be cheaper to pay the higher nightly rate at a Deluxe accommodation versus getting 2 rooms.

Just to give you a quick example, dvcrequest.com charges $19 per point, if you were staying 4 nights (Monday - Friday, November 8 - 12, 2021) at a Boardwalk Villas standard studio - it would cost $912 per night or $228 per night (Animal Kingdom for a similar room would be $988 or $247 per night). If you decided to upgrade to a 1-bedroom, for the same time period to Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Standard View (windows look at parking lot or pool) - it would cost $2052 or $513 per night - but you would have a ton of space in that room.

November might be a hard time to find availability right now though - unfortunately DVC rentals work best when you can decide a year in advance or so because owners can start booking 11 months in advance. You still might be able to find a dedicated reservation though (essentially a reservation that has already been booked), https://dvcrequest.com/dvc-guests/dedic ... s-for-rent

Not a lot of availability right now for November on dvcrequest.com though - but you can of course put in a request and they will try to match you with an owner.
Happy2012
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Happy2012 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 am

AnimalKingdomFan79 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:36 pm I stayed at the Springhill Suites in Lake Buena Vista https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ ... t-village/
It was a WDW Good Neighbor Hotel so they had shuttles + you were able to buy tix there (which I didn't)
Overall, it was a good experience because there was free breakfast, the shuttle wasn't the best it was pretty disorganized, but the size of the room was great. They had a pool which was never too crowded and they have other amenities (gym, playground, 'Starbucks) + it was close to the vineland outlets and a lot of places to eat (even in walking distance)

I think comparing costs + considering staying offsite (particularly at a WDW Good Neighbor Hotel) is worth looking into. It allows you to have more funds to spend at the parks etc.
Do they offer wheelchair accessible transportation?
:D Happy
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Tue May 11, 2021 4:56 pm

Liquid Ice wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:58 am Have you looked at Art of Animation or All Star Music? Both have family suites that are larger.

With Disney Springs hotels, you still get access to Disney buses in Disney Springs in the afternoons and each hotel has their own shuttle to get to the parks. If I recall correctly, at least one of the Disney Springs hotels have suites that sleep more than 4 (check the Doubletree Suites by Hilton). Disney Spring hotels offer the same "perks" as staying on site, right now there aren't really any except for utilizing the Disney Park Pass availability by resort guest instead of ticket holder. But, supposedly the parks will open an extra 30 mins early for resort guests and this should include Disney Springs area hotels.

Also consider the new Flamingo Crossings area - there are a few Marriott owned hotels there. They also offer shuttles, but currently do not get the same perks as Disney Springs area hotels - if you're driving it isn't a big deal again, but the hotels there are relatively new - and because Flamingo Crossing is a Disney owned property

Lastly - consider renting DVC points. There are DVC studios that sleep 5 people ( Beach Club, Boardwalk, Boulder Ridge, Polynesian and Grand Floridian ) - as well as 1-bedroom villas that sleep 5 ( Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bay Lake Tower, Grand Floridian, Old Key West, Riviera, Saratoga Springs (refurbished rooms, right now a Preferred room guarantees a refurb room). Boardwalk and Boulder Ridge will allow a 5th person in a 1-bedroom but there is no bed for them, they need to bring a sleeping bag.

DVC Rentals (check out the site sponsor, https://dvcrequest.com ) - essentially is using someone's Time Share points that they can't use. Generally speaking, DVC points can be rented at close to 40% off the rack rate that Disney sells those same rooms at - and if you need to sleep 5, it can be cheaper to pay the higher nightly rate at a Deluxe accommodation versus getting 2 rooms.

Just to give you a quick example, dvcrequest.com charges $19 per point, if you were staying 4 nights (Monday - Friday, November 8 - 12, 2021) at a Boardwalk Villas standard studio - it would cost $912 per night or $228 per night (Animal Kingdom for a similar room would be $988 or $247 per night). If you decided to upgrade to a 1-bedroom, for the same time period to Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Standard View (windows look at parking lot or pool) - it would cost $2052 or $513 per night - but you would have a ton of space in that room.

November might be a hard time to find availability right now though - unfortunately DVC rentals work best when you can decide a year in advance or so because owners can start booking 11 months in advance. You still might be able to find a dedicated reservation though (essentially a reservation that has already been booked), https://dvcrequest.com/dvc-guests/dedic ... s-for-rent

Not a lot of availability right now for November on dvcrequest.com though - but you can of course put in a request and they will try to match you with an owner.
Thanks for this info I’ll look into It I wondered how all this DVC stuffed worked
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Tue May 11, 2021 6:19 pm

T music wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:56 pm
Thanks for this info I’ll look into It I wondered how all this DVC stuffed worked
Let me know if you have any questions - or feel free to post in the DVC forum - I'm happy to help answer any questions you have!

I have rented DVC points before and I'm also a DVC owner. :)
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Wed May 12, 2021 7:50 am

Liquid Ice wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:58 am

I concur. I’ve stayed quite a few times at the Wyndham across the street from Disney Springs and it is nice accommodations while being close to Disney Sorings. Many times it is cheaper to stay at these, and getting two rooms is comparable to one room on property.

The only drawback, and with any off property hotel is transportation. I would recommend renting a car even though many have shuttles, but that also means paying for parking. I’ve done off property a few times and it does save money on the hotel but maybe not overall because of renting a car and parking. I also think there’s something to say about the Disney environment.
DisNerd11
Novice Hopper
Novice Hopper

Postby DisNerd11 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:04 pm

Following. I am staying at a timeshare near SeaWorld this summer and at Orange Lake (near Animal Kingdom) next spring. I am not looking forward to driving a rental around the area, but my family already has the timeshare points.