New security questions

Looking to maximize your time and a theme park? Go here for those special tips or to share those time-saving tricks!
Happy2012
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

New security questions

Postby Happy2012 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:30 am

I was wondering if anyone has gone through the new security check points with a scooter and/or wheelchair?
1. How difficult is it?
2. Do they physically check your bags or are you able to go through the scanner just like everyone else?
Just wondering so I know if it will take more time?
:D Happy
randyf79
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Re: New security questions

Postby randyf79 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:20 pm

Hi!

We were just there...and while we weren't using a scooter...we did not see any major backups for folks who were. Disney has installed new metal detectors that are GREAT...and you can walk through with your bags and only if tagged do you have to have a bag check.

Hope you have a great time! :D
"What if there was a place...a magical place...where anything was possible! Want to go?"
Happy2012
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Happy2012 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:46 pm

randyf79 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:20 pm Hi!

We were just there...and while we weren't using a scooter...we did not see any major backups for folks who were. Disney has installed new metal detectors that are GREAT...and you can walk through with your bags and only if tagged do you have to have a bag check.

Hope you have a great time! :D
Do the scooters go through the 'metal detector'?
randyf79
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby randyf79 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:06 pm

We think scooters and strollers went through a separate line...
"What if there was a place...a magical place...where anything was possible! Want to go?"
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:57 pm

If you're able to walk through the new "metal detectors" (they're not metal detectors, they're more advanced and can detect both the material and shapes of objects) - you will pull the scooter up to the designated area (security will help direct you), then security will normally tell you what you need to take off the scooter (any bags need to come off the scooter and go with you through the "metal detector") and maybe show them any compartments on the scooter. Then you will get up with the bags and walk through the "metal detector" then come back around to retrieve your scooter.

The scooter does not go through the "metal detector", it stays parked at the designated area and after you walk through the "metal detector" you come back around to retrieve the scooter.

If you cannot get up and walk through the "metal detector" then I'm not 100% sure of the process, they may re-direct you to the bag check? Someone else may be able to help answer this part.

The process I described above is essentially the same process that is used for strollers too.
Brewbud
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Brewbud » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:21 pm

Do you still need to empty your pockets for the new scanners?
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:30 pm

Brewbud wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:21 pm Do you still need to empty your pockets for the new scanners?
Usually no - there are certain things that may set off the scanners. I know security has told us umbrellas, battery packs and metal water bottles often set off the scanner and they recommend taking them out of your bag and holding them as you walk through the scanner.
Happy2012
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Happy2012 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:30 pm

Liquid Ice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:57 pm If you're able to walk through the new "metal detectors" (they're not metal detectors, they're more advanced and can detect both the material and shapes of objects) - you will pull the scooter up to the designated area (security will help direct you), then security will normally tell you what you need to take off the scooter (any bags need to come off the scooter and go with you through the "metal detector") and maybe show them any compartments on the scooter. Then you will get up with the bags and walk through the "metal detector" then come back around to retrieve your scooter.

The scooter does not go through the "metal detector", it stays parked at the designated area and after you walk through the "metal detector" you come back around to retrieve the scooter.

If you cannot get up and walk through the "metal detector" then I'm not 100% sure of the process, they may re-direct you to the bag check? Someone else may be able to help answer this part.

The process I described above is essentially the same process that is used for strollers too.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! When we have the individual with us that can't walk one of us that can will walk through with all the bags.
I was assuming it wasn't a 'metal detector' so I was hoping it was something like this as it shouldn't slow us down too much!
Again Thank you!
Brewbud
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Brewbud » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:42 pm

Liquid Ice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:30 pm
Brewbud wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:21 pm Do you still need to empty your pockets for the new scanners?
Usually no - there are certain things that may set off the scanners. I know security has told us umbrellas, battery packs and metal water bottles often set off the scanner and they recommend taking them out of your bag and holding them as you walk through the scanner.
That is great news. It must speed up the lines a bit. I never liked placing all my items in the bowl and then retrieving them. Although, quite often I got lucky and they just waved me around. Not sure why unless it was because of the kilt.
Liquid Ice
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Liquid Ice » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:34 pm

Brewbud wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:42 pm
Liquid Ice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:30 pm
That is great news. It must speed up the lines a bit. I never liked placing all my items in the bowl and then retrieving them. Although, quite often I got lucky and they just waved me around. Not sure why unless it was because of the kilt.
Yeah it definitely speeds up the lines - it stinks if you get flagged and have to have your bag searched, but overall it is much quicker - essentially just people walking straight through and if you do get flagged then you go off to the side so you don't stop the flow of traffic.