Attending College in Orlando

Thinking of an extended stay? Perhaps a permanent one? Get help with moving to Florida here!
lauren is soarin
New Hopper
New Hopper

Attending College in Orlando

Postby lauren is soarin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:37 pm

Hi everyone! Love this new community

I have been given an opportunity to attend college in Orlando! It is a hard decision to make, so I want to make sure I know everything there is to know. Does anyone have any tips about Florida in general (seasons, places to go visit in Orlando, transportation, etc.) or any ways to cure homesickness??
Lauren
rachel r
New Hopper
New Hopper

Re: Attending College in Orlando

Postby rachel r » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:52 am

lauren is soarin, I'm in the same boat you are in right now! I am a freshman in college and want to transfer and move to live closer to the magic, it's been my dream since I was a kid!
Andrea1114
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Andrea1114 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:32 am

I have also been offered admission to attend college in Orlando in the fall! I’m still deciding if I will go to college there but as a Florida resident myself, I can tell you the weather here especially in the summer is very bipolar - sunny one minute rainy the next. Also there is plenty to do in Orlando besides theme parks like International drive, mini golf, museums, malls, some outdoor activities, just to name a few
Magic Kingdom - June 2021, Aug. 2020, June 2019, April 2014
Epcot - Jan. 2021, Nov. 2020, Aug. 2020, April 2019
Hollywood Studios - April 2021, April 2011
Animal Kingdom - April 2019

All Star Movies x2
Pop Century x3
All Star Sports x2
kdbennettjr
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby kdbennettjr » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:47 am

We are from NJ and my daughter is attending the hometown University in Orlando. She is a sophomore. She LOVES it there. There is plenty to do without having to go to Disney and Universal. She has an annual pass to Universal. We use Facetime constantly especially if she is lonely. Her roommates are wonderful and are from Florida. She does visit the malls quite a bit, just to get out of the house and browse. There's lots of stores to go and browse. Bars and restaurants are open, but she does not visit since there have been a lot of cases. Pre-Covid, there were plenty of bars and clubs she would go to with her roommates. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I can ask her
Andrea1114
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Andrea1114 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:32 am

Hello kdbennetjr, do you mind asking your daughter how she picked her roommates freshmen year? And how college life is like with covid like if her classes are mostly online or if some are in person and other helpful advice for incoming freshmen?

kdbennettjr wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:47 am We are from NJ and my daughter is attending the hometown University in Orlando. She is a sophomore. She LOVES it there. There is plenty to do without having to go to Disney and Universal. She has an annual pass to Universal. We use Facetime constantly especially if she is lonely. Her roommates are wonderful and are from Florida. She does visit the malls quite a bit, just to get out of the house and browse. There's lots of stores to go and browse. Bars and restaurants are open, but she does not visit since there have been a lot of cases. Pre-Covid, there were plenty of bars and clubs she would go to with her roommates. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I can ask her
Magic Kingdom - June 2021, Aug. 2020, June 2019, April 2014
Epcot - Jan. 2021, Nov. 2020, Aug. 2020, April 2019
Hollywood Studios - April 2021, April 2011
Animal Kingdom - April 2019

All Star Movies x2
Pop Century x3
All Star Sports x2
kdbennettjr
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby kdbennettjr » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:06 am

Her university had a roommate match. They asked questions like what time do you wake up, are you a neat freak/slob/in between, etc.. Then they match you with other people who answered the same and with their compatibility (100%, 95%, etc.). Then you read each person's "bio". If you want to get in touch with them, you can message them. If you like each other you go into a group. She had a suite (4 beds, 1 bath), she wanted a shared room with a roommate since we are out of state. She likes to meet people. She had a group of four and were placed with them. College life is definitely different this year. Her classes are all online. They were also online in the fall. Some classes have set times that you sign on to Zoom for a lecture. Some classes are pre-recorded lectures. Her roommates have a couple in-person classes. When all of this is over, the college life at her university is wonderful. So much spirit, football games and so much to do on campus!! Let me ask her about helpful advice for freshmen.