Flying, Driving, Teleporting?

Thinking of a Disney park adventure? Get help planning your next trip to the house of mouse!
Meridasmom
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Flying, Driving, Teleporting?

Postby Meridasmom » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:09 am

I thought I'd start a post here about vacation modes of travel to our favorite Disney Parks. I'm currently on the watch for flights for our Oct trip but the prices are just crazy high right now. We could drive it- it's only 8 hrs, I just don't know that I want to this year. Besides the flight prices, with layovers as long as they are, and flights being cancelled left and right that may not leave us much choice.

Tell me about your travel modes- good, bad, fun (or not so fun). How long does it take you? Where do you travel from?
aka Christie Munn
Coastal SC
WDW 1980,2005, 2006,2008
2016, 2018, Tokyo 2019, 2021
Favorites: AK, MK, HS, Epcot
Dole whip
Aladdin, Lilo & Stitch, Brave
Disney Donna
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Re: Flying, Driving, Teleporting?

Postby Disney Donna » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:34 am

We'll be coming from the UK so flying for us, I think it's about 10 and a half hours? when we do eventually make it over it could potentially be our youngest son's first flight and our oldest one's first flight since 2015 when he was only 4, so he doesn't remember much about it and it was only a quick hope over to Disneyland Paris.
Hoping to make our first trip to the World of Mouse one day
Meridasmom
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Meridasmom » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:39 pm

Disney Donna wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:34 am We'll be coming from the UK so flying for us, I think it's about 10 and a half hours? when we do eventually make it over it could potentially be our youngest son's first flight and our oldest one's first flight since 2015 when he was only 4, so he doesn't remember much about it and it was only a quick hope over to Disneyland Paris.
Very fun! Those long flights can be good or bad. We flew to Japan in late 2019 to visit our daughter (she's in the Navy). We had 3 total flights going over- the longest being 14 hrs. We went from NC to TX to Tokyo Narita. We spent the first 3 days in Tokyo visiting Disneyland and DisneySea. When we left Tokyo to go to her base, we took the Shinkansen (high speed train) as far as we could, then a bus ride for 1.5 hr to get to the base. Then on the way back we had 4 flights to get back to the states. Lots of traveling but it was really worth it.
Tip- get some compression socks for the flight, they'll really help your legs not cramp and be tired!
aka Christie Munn
Coastal SC
WDW 1980,2005, 2006,2008
Dole whip
Poppy
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby Poppy » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:42 pm

only ever drove to WDW, back in the 1990's from South Carolina, usually took me and my buddy 6-7 hrs depending on traffic :P
Former DLand CM loving life - worked Outdoor Vending & Tomorrowland Attractions (Peoplemover, Submarine Voyage, Mission to Mars, Star Tours) :)
Meridasmom
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Meridasmom » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:57 am

Poppy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:42 pm only ever drove to WDW, back in the 1990's from South Carolina, usually took me and my buddy 6-7 hrs depending on traffic :P
We've only ever driven also- and also from SC (and Charlotte NC right on the state line). While we don't mind the drive, I'm just looking for convenience for this upcoming trip.
aka Christie Munn
Coastal SC
WDW 1980,2005, 2006,2008
Dole whip
Disney Donna
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Disney Donna » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:34 am

Meridasmom wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:39 pm
Disney Donna wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:34 am We'll be coming from the UK so flying for us, I think it's about 10 and a half hours? when we do eventually make it over it could potentially be our youngest son's first flight and our oldest one's first flight since 2015 when he was only 4, so he doesn't remember much about it and it was only a quick hope over to Disneyland Paris.
Very fun! Those long flights can be good or bad. We flew to Japan in late 2019 to visit our daughter (she's in the Navy). We had 3 total flights going over- the longest being 14 hrs. We went from NC to TX to Tokyo Narita. We spent the first 3 days in Tokyo visiting Disneyland and DisneySea. When we left Tokyo to go to her base, we took the Shinkansen (high speed train) as far as we could, then a bus ride for 1.5 hr to get to the base. Then on the way back we had 4 flights to get back to the states. Lots of traveling but it was really worth it.
Tip- get some compression socks for the flight, they'll really help your legs not cramp and be tired!
Thanks for the advice I shall definitely try to remember that.
That's sounds like such a fun trip, personally I love flying or any type of travelling, I'm just not sure howy boys will be, hopefully the older will be big to know better and should be more understanding, the younger one I think I will just fill my hand luggage with snacks and toys for him and hope for the best :lol:
Hoping to make our first trip to the World of Mouse one day
Wilbur Robinson
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Wilbur Robinson » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:40 am

Traveling from PA to FL takes us an 18 hour drive or if we fly it's somewhere around 2 hours.
We used to drive up every year but now flying is so much better! It's cool to be at your house hundreds of miles away, then Disney World in the same day lol.
The ride to Florida was always exciting though -- especially with lots of road trip snacks and games to play. The only problem is that you have to drive back!!

The plan is to go back in September but we haven't fully decided on whether we'll fly or drive. Flying can be stressful because of getting to the airport on time and getting through TSA.
We'll see what happens!
"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
- Walt Disney
jbletheby
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby jbletheby » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:38 am

Flying is how i do it. while i havent done it. i hear that sometimes you can look for charter flights, sometimes they can be very cheap
If you can dream it you can do it - Walt
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:26 pm

On the fence about this as well right now. Trip coming up and flights are crazy expensive and with everything going on risking it getting canceled would be horrible but driving would be 16 hours . the mere thought
Last edited by T music on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuckinbmode
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby Stuckinbmode » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:32 pm

The demise of DME changes the economics of flying, and with airfare likely to go up, we will probably make the 11 hour drive(three adults to trade off) next spring.

With all the other price increases, this is our last visit.
T music
Gold Hopper
Gold Hopper

Postby T music » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Stuckinbmode wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:32 pm The demise of DME changes the economics of flying, and with airfare likely to go up, we will probably make the 11 hour drive(three adults to trade off) next spring.

With all the other price increases, this is our last visit.
Same here we won’t be going back anytime soon. Thinking we are going to make the 16 hr drive with flights being so high at so much risk of cancellation and delays