Has anyone ridden Mystic Manor?

Disney goes international! From Disneyland Paris to the Disney Cruise Lines.
Rooster2257
New Hopper
New Hopper

Has anyone ridden Mystic Manor?

Postby Rooster2257 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:00 pm

This is on the top of my "to ride someday, and haven't yet" list. I've seen the ride through's that people have posted, it looks super fun. I am a bit intimidated traveling internationally though.
Loves Disney Parks, Playing Pokemon Go (especially in Disney Parks), Dungeons & Dragons, Naps and Food!
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Re: Has anyone ridden Mystic Manor?

Postby summerinthecity » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:51 pm

I have not been to Disneyland Hong Kong, but I have been to HK a million times and it's really accessible to visit for someone from the US. It is NOT like visiting China in terms of the culture shock. You can speak English in most places you would go (but be patient etc). I can tell you Disneyland HK is directly accessible on the subway which is cool so you don't have to rent a car as in Orlando. I also would like to go, but will wait for when things are a bit more stable over there.

One thing HK has in common with Orlando is the deadly, brutal, punishing humidity. Just like home. Except everyone has a tiny handheld battery operated fan.
Rooster2257
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Rooster2257 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:56 pm

summerinthecity wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:51 pm I have not been to Disneyland Hong Kong, but I have been to HK a million times and it's really accessible to visit for someone from the US. It is NOT like visiting China in terms of the culture shock. You can speak English in most places you would go (but be patient etc). I can tell you Disneyland HK is directly accessible on the subway which is cool so you don't have to rent a car as in Orlando. I also would like to go, but will wait for when things are a bit more stable over there.

One thing HK has in common with Orlando is the deadly, brutal, punishing humidity. Just like home. Except everyone has a tiny handheld battery operated fan.
Yes I was very much scared of the culture shock, and language barrier. Thank you for those thoughts! Also thank you for the heads up on the humidity, I wouldn't have thought of that!
Loves Disney Parks, Playing Pokemon Go (especially in Disney Parks), Dungeons & Dragons, Naps and Food!
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:58 pm

I have been on Mystic Manor! Quick HK Disneyland story: I went to the park with two day tickets and ended up upgrading to annual pass and went like 4 days. I rode Mystic Manor I don’t know how many times. It is one of my favorite Disney rides and I bought an Albert stuffed animal!
HKDL is really easy for English speakers, by the way. I’ve been to the other international Disney parks and this one and Paris were easiest to understand at.
Esa866
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Esa866 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:27 pm

This is a dream of mine! I’ll be checking all these responses, would love to hear from tons of people!
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:48 pm

summerinthecity wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:51 pm
I will warn Disney tourists that it was more brutal for me when I went in a June time. My dslr camera suffered so badly in the humidity it broke and I had to get a new one when I returned! That's not ever happened to me in Orlando haha.
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby summerinthecity » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:54 pm

DLandChris wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:48 pm
summerinthecity wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:51 pm
I will warn Disney tourists that it was more brutal for me when I went in a June time. My dslr camera suffered so badly in the humidity it broke and I had to get a new one when I returned! That's not ever happened to me in Orlando haha.
WHOA. A DSLR casualty! I just use a Lumix or cell phone, but I remember that when I finally was able to go NOT during the summer, I realized I had to take a nap every day there due to the insane humidity and not due to jet lag.

If you go back and it happens again, you could probably get a deal on DSLR equipment there (I'm referring to legitimate vendors not a guy selling it out of his jacket); they often get new stuff slightly ahead of North America or sell versions of equipment that may be harder to find in NA due to lower demand.
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:01 pm

summerinthecity wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:54 pm
If you go back and it happens again, you could probably get a deal on DSLR equipment there (I'm referring to legitimate vendors not a guy selling it out of his jacket); they often get new stuff slightly ahead of North America or sell versions of equipment that may be harder to find in NA due to lower demand.
That's a good point. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Though it broke at the very end of the trip, which I'm weirdly thankful for. I was able to snap many a Mystic Manor photo with it before it died!

Putthatthingbackwhereitcamefrm
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Putthatthingbackwhereitcamefrm » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:01 am

Mystic Manor is amazing! I knew it would be a cool ride, but I was not expecting to love it as much as I did. HKDL in general was better than I expected. It is a smaller park, but I wish I had spent more than one day there. Every CM that I talked to was extremely nice and I never had issues communicating with them. I ran into a couple issues with taxi drivers not speaking English, but there was always someone around who could help translate or I used a map to point out where I wanted to go so it was never really an issue.
Rooster2257
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Rooster2257 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm

It's nice to know that an international park is accessible when it comes to communication (maybe not so much for humidity and cameras). There's a part of me that wishes they would bring popular rides like this to U.S. parks, but on the other side it's nice that parks have things that are unique as well.

I am super excited right now, i'm glad so many think it's a great ride.
Isaka
New Hopper
New Hopper

Postby Isaka » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:56 am

I have been there! As others say, HK is very accessible from anywhere - airport or center city thanks to bullet train.
Whenever go there, it’s always less than 10 minutes wait to enjoy this mysterious ride:)
DVC member - Poly
AP - WDW
Favorite Resort - WL
Favorite Park -EPCOT
Favorite Ride - TTA PeopleMover
Favorite restaurant - Sanaa (and so more)
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby summerinthecity » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:16 am

Rooster2257 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:25 pm It's nice to know that an international park is accessible when it comes to communication (maybe not so much for humidity and cameras). There's a part of me that wishes they would bring popular rides like this to U.S. parks, but on the other side it's nice that parks have things that are unique as well.

I am super excited right now, i'm glad so many think it's a great ride.
An interesting back story for why this specific attraction is not in the US is that it was created to be Haunted Mansion but to be culturally sensitive to the Chinese. So that's why there's no ghosts or coffins, but if you watch a ridethrough on youtube, you will see that they have various elements of Haunted Mansion (like the suit of armor moving around). (The Chinese definitely have a strong ghost story tradition and rumors are all over Hong Kong of haunted places, but it's just that they don't really have fun with it like the US.)
Meridasmom
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby Meridasmom » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:38 am

summerinthecity wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:51 pm I have not been to Disneyland Hong Kong, but I have been to HK a million times and it's really accessible to visit for someone from the US. It is NOT like visiting China in terms of the culture shock. You can speak English in most places you would go (but be patient etc). I can tell you Disneyland HK is directly accessible on the subway which is cool so you don't have to rent a car as in Orlando. I also would like to go, but will wait for when things are a bit more stable over there.

Funny you mention the brutal punishing humidity and fans- it's the same in Tokyo Disneyland/Sea. (I don't mean to state the obvious, but some folks just don't understand) We were at TDL /TDS in Aug 2019 and it was over 100 *F each day. Everyone had parasols, hand held or neck fans and cooling towels. Brutal is an understatement. My daughter ended up with heat exhaustion and sick one late afternoon. She hadn't stayed hydrated properly and it showed. Side note: there's NOT a lot of English spoken in TDL, however we didn't have any problem communicating. Just be patient. And take a note pad, a lot of people can read English they just don't speak it very well.
aka Christie Munn
Coastal SC
WDW 1980,2005, 2006,2008
2016, 2018, Tokyo 2019, 2021
Favorites: AK, MK, HS, Epcot
Dole whip
Aladdin, Lilo & Stitch, Brave
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:23 pm

Meridasmom wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:38 am
Funny you mention the brutal punishing humidity and fans- it's the same in Tokyo Disneyland/Sea. (I don't mean to state the obvious, but some folks just don't understand) We were at TDL /TDS in Aug 2019 and it was over 100 *F each day. Everyone had parasols, hand held or neck fans and cooling towels. Brutal is an understatement. My daughter ended up with heat exhaustion and sick one late afternoon. She hadn't stayed hydrated properly and it showed. Side note: there's NOT a lot of English spoken in TDL, however we didn't have any problem communicating. Just be patient. And take a note pad, a lot of people can read English they just don't speak it very well.
I have been in Tokyo and TDL in June before. You are right that the heat in the summer is not to be messed with there. I had to buy some extra shirts because I kept soaking through what I would wear during the day. As far as that month, though, HKDL was more brutal for me. Someday I’ll have to go to both within the same week to compare haha.

And I also have an interesting story about the lack of English and going on a ride in TDS. But, I’ll save that for a TDL topic.
DLandChris
Silver Hopper
Silver Hopper

Postby DLandChris » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:24 pm

Also in a more related reply pertaining to Mystic Manor: I have been putting together the D23 Fantastic Worlds puzzle and was very excited to see Mystic Manor with Albert sticking out of it!
summerinthecity
Bronze Hopper
Bronze Hopper

Postby summerinthecity » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Meridasmom wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:38 am
I would love to go to TDL! Thank you for sharing. I forgot about the parasols but they're clutch to have (and I should be better about it) - I went to Shanghai Expo in 2008 and before I got onto the grounds, the person I was with bought me a sun parasol (it's like a regular umbrella but lighter to hold with an opaque sun-blocking fabric). I was like "haha! I don't need this" and she said "yeah I give you 10 minutes" and she was not kidding.

If you're wondering why Asians who live there are not generally just napping all the time, it's because they don't really go outside for long periods of time when it's like that.